Cubic lattice, masses and springs, fire little mass at it.

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of firing a single mass at a cubic lattice with no rotation imparted, resulting in only translation of the lattice. The question also touches on whether there is a classical system similar to the Mössbauer effect where gamma emission can occur without producing crystal phonons. The scenario is simplified to a one-dimensional lattice of N masses with the system constrained to move on a line. The difference in energy production is discussed between a slow, gentle shove and a hard, fast shove on the first mass of the lattice.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Suppose I have a cubic lattice of N^3 masses, M, each connected to six nearest neighbors with springs of constant k free to move but at rest. Now fire a single mass, m, with velocity v at surface of the lattice such that no rotation can be imparted to the cubic lattice. Let the fired mass bounce off a single lattice mass so that both masses move in the opposite direction.

Can we fire a mass at a lattice at rest and only produce translation of lattice with no or little vibration of the lattice?

I wanted to understand if there was a classical system similar to the crystal in the Mössbauer effect where we can have gamma emission with no crystal phonons produced.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think what I'm asking can be simplified with the following classical setup. Let there be a one dimensional lattice of N masses M, connected by springs with the whole system constrained to move on a line. Suppose we give the first mass of this system a slow gentle shove. I think the math would show that the lattice would move as a whole with very little vibrational energy being produced. But now suppose we give the first mass of the lattice a hard fast shove then it seems the math would also show that now the lattice would gain both translational and vibrational energy?

What is a cubic lattice?

A cubic lattice is a three-dimensional arrangement of particles or points in space that form a regular pattern. It is commonly used in mathematical and scientific models to represent the structure of crystals, metals, and other materials.

What is the role of masses and springs in a cubic lattice?

In a cubic lattice, masses represent the particles or atoms, while springs represent the bonds between them. The interaction between these masses and springs helps to determine the overall behavior and properties of the lattice.

How is a cubic lattice affected by the addition of fire or heat?

The addition of fire or heat to a cubic lattice causes the particles to vibrate and move more rapidly, disrupting the regular pattern of the lattice. This can lead to changes in the lattice's structure and properties, such as expansion or melting.

What happens when a small mass is fired at a cubic lattice?

When a small mass is fired at a cubic lattice, it can cause the lattice to vibrate and potentially disrupt its structure. This can be useful for studying the effects of impurities on the lattice or for modeling the behavior of materials under impact.

How is a cubic lattice used in scientific research?

Cubic lattices are commonly used in scientific research to model the structure and behavior of various materials. They can also be used to study the properties of solids, liquids, and gases, and to simulate physical phenomena such as phase transitions, thermal conductivity, and diffusion.