Did i take this derivative of the vector right?

In summary, The conversation is about checking the validity of a derivative of a vector using a link provided since the person does not have access to Maple or a ti-89 calculator. The domain section should have r>0 and the derivative itself should have t<0 as a possible value. However, the conversation also brings up the possibility of the i component being t=<2.
mr_coffee
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check that domain section...

ahh should be r >0 right? is the derivative right too? thanks!

No. Look what happens to the i vector when you have t=3

oh f word...
can i say, t < 0?

Well, the thing is that it can go above 0... but how far?

Start looking at the equations and ask yourself where each one has a valid result. For example, the i component can be t=<2

1. What is a vector derivative?

A vector derivative is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of a vector's components with respect to a given independent variable. It is analogous to a regular derivative for scalar functions.

2. How do I take the derivative of a vector?

To take the derivative of a vector, you can use the standard rules of differentiation for each component of the vector. This means taking the derivative of each component separately and combining them to form the derivative of the vector.

3. Why is taking the derivative of a vector important?

Taking the derivative of a vector is important because it allows us to understand how the vector is changing over time or with respect to a given variable. It is also a fundamental operation in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics and mechanics.

4. Can I take the derivative of a vector with more than three components?

Yes, you can take the derivative of a vector with any number of components. The rules for differentiation still apply, and you would simply take the derivative of each component separately and combine them to form the derivative of the vector.

5. Are there any special rules for taking the derivative of a vector?

Yes, there are a few special rules for taking the derivative of a vector. These include the product rule and the chain rule, which are used when the vector is a result of multiplying or composing multiple functions. There are also rules for taking the derivative of vectors with respect to different variables or functions.