Proving Uniform Continuity for Functions with a<1

I just wanted to see if I could do it with the properties given.In summary, we have shown that f is uniformly continuous by choosing an appropriate delta and using the definition of uniform continuity. We have also demonstrated that f is a contraction function with a unique fixed point, which guarantees the existence of an e in [a,b] such that f(e)=e. This was achieved by showing that a continuous function defined on [a,b] must intersect the identity function at least once.
Icebreaker
"Let [tex]f:[a,b]\rightarrow [a,b][/tex] be defined such that [tex]|f(x)-f(y)|\leq a|x-y| [/tex] where 0<a<1. Prove that f is uniformly continuous and (other stuff)."

Let e>0 and let d=e/a. Whenever [tex]0<|x-y|<d, |f(x)-f(y)|\leq a|x-y|<ad=e[/tex]. f is therefore by definition uniformly continuous.

Did I do this right? It seems too good to be true. It doesn't seem right because I did not use the fact that 0<a<1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ordinary continuity says "For any x0, for any [tex]\epsilon[/tex]>0, there exist [tex]\delta[/tex]> 0 such that if [tex]|x-x_0|< \delta[/tex], then [tex]|f(x)-f(x_0)|< \epsilon[/tex]".
Uniform continuity says "For any [tex]\epsilon[/tex]>0, there exist [tex]\delta[/tex]> 0 such that, for any x0, if [tex]|x-a_0|< \delta[/tex], then [tex]|f(x)-f(x_0)|< \epsilon[/tex]".

The difference is that, for uniform continuity, the same [tex]\delta[/tex] works for all x0.
If [tex]|f(x)-f(y)|< a|x-y|[/tex], then in particular, for any x0, [tex]|f(x)-f(x_0)|< a|x-x_0|[/tex], then given any [tex]\epsilon[/tex], we can choose [tex]\delta= \frac{\epsilon}{a}[/tex] for all x0.

That's essentially what you are saying since you seem to be using a slightly different (equivalent) definition of uniform continuity.

I just find it odd that it gave me a property (0<a<1) which I did not need. Thanks for your help.

What was the "(other stuff)"? 0< a< 1 may be need for that. It means that f is a "contraction" function and, among other things, has a unique "fixed point".

The other thing was to show that there exists an e in [a,b] such that f(e) = e.

Isn't there a theorem you can use?

Assuming f(a) is not a and f(b) is not b, I've basically proved that a continuous function defined on [a,b] must intersect the identity function g(x)=x at least once. I haven't been able to prove uniqueness. And yes, there are lots of theorems I can use.

1. What is uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function over its entire domain. A function is said to be uniformly continuous if it maintains a consistent rate of change between any two points in its domain, regardless of how close or far apart those points are. This means that as the distance between two points in the domain approaches zero, the difference in their function values also approaches zero.

2. How is uniform continuity different from continuity?

Both uniform continuity and continuity are properties of functions that describe how they behave over their entire domain. However, continuity only requires that a function is continuous at each individual point in its domain, while uniform continuity requires that the function has a consistent rate of change between any two points in its domain. In other words, uniform continuity is a stricter condition than continuity.

3. What is the importance of uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is important in mathematics and science because it helps us understand and analyze the behavior of functions. By ensuring that a function has a consistent rate of change over its entire domain, we can make accurate predictions and calculations about its behavior and properties. Uniform continuity is also essential in many mathematical proofs and theorems.

4. How can I determine if a function is uniformly continuous?

To determine if a function is uniformly continuous, you can use the definition of uniform continuity, which states that for any given epsilon (ε) greater than zero, there exists a delta (δ) greater than zero such that for all values of x and y in the domain, if the distance between x and y is less than delta, then the difference between the function values at x and y is less than epsilon. If this condition is satisfied, then the function is uniformly continuous.

5. Can a function be uniformly continuous but not continuous?

No, a function cannot be uniformly continuous but not continuous. Uniform continuity is a stricter condition than continuity, so a function must first be continuous in order to be uniformly continuous. If a function is not continuous, it cannot be uniformly continuous.