Do Photons Have Mass? Exploring the Science Behind Light and Its Properties

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether photons have mass and how this can be proven. It is explained that in relativistic physics, the main focus is on the total energy rather than mass. While photons do not have mass in a traditional sense, they do have energy and do not follow the Newton equation. It is suggested to read the FAQ thread in the General Physics forum for more information on this topic.
FE 26
This may very well be an elementary question but I need to know once and for all. Do photons have mass and how is it proven? As of yet I have not received a sufficient answer to this question except for a vague explanation about how photons have mass until they cease movement, at which point they cease to be photons... I must be misunderstanding something somewhere because that doesn't quite make sense to me. Am I just being dense?

Science news on Phys.org
Please begin by reading the FAQ thread in the General Physics forum.

Zz.

In relativistic physics the main thing is not the mass but the total energy because it is what the particles exchange with. So photon has energy but has no mass in a usual sense, as the inertia coefficient in the Newton equation. Photons do not obey the Newton equation and they cannot stay at rest.

1. What is the relationship between photons and mass?

Photons are particles of light that have no mass, as they travel at the speed of light. However, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, energy and mass are equivalent, so photons do have energy. This energy can act like mass in certain situations, such as in the gravitational field, where photons can be affected by the curvature of space-time.

2. How does the mass of an object affect the behavior of photons?

The mass of an object can affect the behavior of photons in a few ways. First, objects with mass can create a gravitational field which can cause photons to bend in their path. Second, if an object has enough mass, it can absorb photons, preventing them from passing through. Lastly, the mass of an object can also determine the amount of energy needed to create a photon, as more mass requires more energy.

3. Can photons have mass?

According to current scientific understanding, photons do not have mass. They are considered to be massless particles that only have energy and momentum. However, there are theories that suggest that photons could have a tiny amount of mass, but this has not been proven yet.

4. How does the mass-energy equivalence equation relate to photons?

The mass-energy equivalence equation, E=mc², states that energy and mass are interchangeable and equivalent. This means that photons, which have energy but no mass, can still have an equivalent amount of mass through their energy. This is why photons can interact with gravity and have an effect on objects with mass.

5. Can photons be created or destroyed?

Photons cannot be created or destroyed in the traditional sense, as they are not made up of matter. However, they can be absorbed by matter, which can change their energy or wavelength. Similarly, photons can be emitted by matter through processes such as thermal radiation or fluorescence.