Looking for an excellent definition of solve algebraically

• Thread starter drpizza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, solving algebraically refers to solving equations through a systematic method of algebraic manipulations, rather than numerical or trial methods. This involves finding a solution that can be expressed as an expression involving certain given quantities, using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and possibly taking roots. It is often used in the context of solving equations.
drpizza
looking for an excellent definition of "solve algebraically"

I know what it means, you know what it means. I'm stumped though; I tried to find a definition for what it means by searching the internet, but can't find a definition anywhere.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Isn't this synonymous with, "Solve, using the methods of Algebra," in which case your question boils down to, "what is Algebra?"

Solve through a systematic method of algebraic manipulations, rather than numerical or trial methods.

this a little vague for me personally. can you give us an example?

maybe it is being used in the context of solving equations.

e.g. maybe it meNS THE SOLUTION VACAN BE EXPRESSED AS an expression involving certain given quantities, using algebriac operations such as +, - , . , /, and maybe their inverses, like taking roots?

What is the definition of solving algebraically?

Solving algebraically refers to using mathematical operations and equations to find the value of unknown variables in an equation or problem.

What are the steps involved in solving algebraically?

The steps involved in solving algebraically include simplifying the equation, isolating the variable, applying inverse operations, and checking the solution.

Why is it important to solve algebraically?

Solving algebraically allows us to find exact solutions to equations and problems, rather than just estimating or guessing. It also helps us understand the relationship between different variables and how they affect each other.

What are some common techniques used to solve algebraically?

Some common techniques used to solve algebraically include the distributive property, combining like terms, and solving systems of equations.

Can algebraic equations have more than one solution?

Yes, depending on the equation, there can be one, multiple, or infinite solutions. This is why it is important to check the solution to ensure it satisfies the original equation.