Choosing the Right Device for Low-Freq Signals in a Soundsystem

In summary: So it's not a safe thing to do to assume it, even if it's usually the case that you have a capacitor in parallel with an inductor.In summary, when developing a high-fidelity soundsystem, if you wish to deliver low-frequency signals to a woofer, an inductor should be placed in series with it. This is because an inductor acts like a short at low frequencies and an open circuit at high frequencies. Using resistors in conjunction with capacitors and inductors can give better control over the circuit and prevent loading effects. It is not safe to assume that there is a capacitor in parallel with an inductor without it being explicitly stated.
jesuslovesu

Homework Statement

Suppose you are developing a high-fidelity soundsystem. If you wish to deliver low-freq signals to a woofer, what device would you place in series with it?
A) Resistor
B) Capacitor
C) Inductor

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

According to my book, the answer is an inductor; however, I would have thought that it would be a resistor if because that's how a low pass filter is made. My book references the equation I0 = V0/(wL) when giving the answer. I'm not quite sure why it would be an inductor? Couldn't it be a resistor just as easily?

Physics news on Phys.org
jesuslovesu said:

Homework Statement

Suppose you are developing a high-fidelity soundsystem. If you wish to deliver low-freq signals to a woofer, what device would you place in series with it?
A) Resistor
B) Capacitor
C) Inductor

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

According to my book, the answer is an inductor; however, I would have thought that it would be a resistor if because that's how a low pass filter is made. My book references the equation I0 = V0/(wL) when giving the answer. I'm not quite sure why it would be an inductor? Couldn't it be a resistor just as easily?

The answer is an inductor... the inductor acts like a short at low frequencies, and acts as an open circuit at high frequencies...

If you wanted a highpass filter, you'd use a capacitor, because it acts the opposite way (short at high frequencies, open circuit at low frequencies)

A resistor acts the same independent of frequency, so that wouldn't work.

jesuslovesu said:
My book references the equation I0 = V0/(wL) when giving the answer. I'm not quite sure why it would be an inductor? Couldn't it be a resistor just as easily?

What does the above equation say about the current at low frequencies and high frequencies (ie when w is high or low)?

Thanks for your reply
I can see how the frequency would effect the current with an inductor in the circuit

But what's the purpose of a low pass filter (with a resistor in series) then?
Like in this picture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Low_pass_filter.svg

(or am I to assume that there is not a capacitor in parallel?)

Last edited:
jesuslovesu said:
Thanks for your reply
I can see how the frequency would effect the current with an inductor in the circuit

But what's the purpose of a low pass filter (with a resistor in series) then?
Like in this picture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Low_pass_filter.svg

Yes, definitely having resistors in conjunction with capacitors and inductors will give you much better control over the circuit...

One major reason to use resistors is to make the filter's behavior not affect the rest of the circuit... for example in the low pass filter picture you posted, if R is high enough then connecting this filter to the circuit that's producing V_in, won't affect that circuit's behavior very much (loading effects)... however a low resistance can change the initial circuit's behavior... then we have to analyze the entire circuit together... so that would be a poorly designed filter because V_in would change significantly... and it would change differently for different circuits that you connect it to... you don't want the filter's behavior to change that Vin...

The resistors help the filter work as a black box... There are many other uses for the resistors also, but this is the first that came to mind for me.

But without inductors or capacitors, there will be no filtering of frequencies.

jesuslovesu said:
Yes, (in addition to everything said by lp) there is nothing in the question that requires you to assume there is.

1. What determines the best device for low-frequency signals in a sound system?

The most important factor in choosing the right device for low-frequency signals in a sound system is the frequency response. The device should have a frequency response that is capable of reproducing low frequencies without distortion or loss of quality.

2. Is it better to use a subwoofer or a dedicated low-frequency amplifier?

It depends on the specific needs and setup of the sound system. Subwoofers are better for large venues and outdoor events, while low-frequency amplifiers are more suitable for smaller spaces. It is recommended to consult with a professional to determine the best option for your specific setup.

3. How do I know if a device can handle low-frequency signals?

One way to determine if a device can handle low-frequency signals is to check its frequency response range. Look for a frequency response that goes down to at least 20Hz. Additionally, reading reviews or consulting with experts can also provide insight into a device's ability to handle low frequencies.

4. Can I use a regular speaker for low-frequency signals?

While it is possible to use a regular speaker for low-frequency signals, it is not recommended as regular speakers are not designed to handle low frequencies. This can result in distorted sound and potential damage to the speaker. It is best to use a dedicated device specifically designed for low-frequency signals.

5. What other factors should I consider when choosing a device for low-frequency signals?

In addition to frequency response, there are other factors to consider when choosing a device for low-frequency signals. These include power handling, sensitivity, and impedance matching with other components in the sound system. It is important to have a well-balanced and compatible setup to achieve optimal sound quality.