Thinking about getting a PhD in Scientific Computing

In summary, the conversation is about a person with an MSc in Engineering physics considering whether to get a PhD in Scientific computing and numerical analysis or find a job in the industry. They are unsure about the demand for PhDs in this field in the industry and ask for others' experiences. One person mentions doing a PhD in computational physics and working on a project related to multi-phase flow, and asks about the future prospects of such a PhD in the industry. Another person mentions that PDE people often go into industrial consultancy, and suggests that the project could have possible applications in geo-reservoirs or nuclear reactors.
octol
So I've got an MSc in Engineering physics and I'm now deciding if I should go find a job in the industry, or stay in school to get a PhD, more specifically in Scientific computing and numerical analysis. Getting the PhD is very temping, but the main thing holding me back is that I don't know how easy it is to get a job in the industry afterwards.

So I'm wondering, does anyone know how big (or small) the demand is for PhD's in Scientific computing in the industry?

Physics news on Phys.org
So no one has any experience about PhD's in scientific computing/numerical analysis?

octol said:
So no one has any experience about PhD's in scientific computing/numerical analysis?

Yes, i am doing a PhD in computational physics in http://www.imec.be/ovinter/static_general/start_en_flash.shtml place. I work on the interface between a metal gate and the high k dielectric of a MOSFET transistor.

marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
octol said:
Can you be more specific?

ie. numerics with respect to what application?

J77 said:
Can you be more specific?

ie. numerics with respect to what application?

Well, for example these projects here:
http://user.it.uu.se/~gkreiss/doktorandannons.htm
I'm most interested in something similar to the one mentioned there about multi-phase flow. Does such a PhD have any future in the industry?

octol said:
Well, for example these projects here:
http://user.it.uu.se/~gkreiss/doktorandannons.htm
I'm most interested in something similar to the one mentioned there about multi-phase flow. Does such a PhD have any future in the industry?
Yeah - for example, in the UK, a lot of PDE people I know have gone into (inudstrial) consultancy. This involves stuff like, eg., modelling and working on the longitivity and decommision of nuclear reactors.

Sounds like an open project that one - possible applications are obviously geo-reservoir type stuff - I did something similar for my masters (check out this place: http://www.bpi.cam.ac.uk/)

1. What is Scientific Computing?

Scientific Computing is a field that uses computational techniques and tools to solve complex scientific problems. It involves the use of advanced mathematical models, algorithms, and computer programs to analyze and interpret data in various scientific disciplines, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering.

2. What are the benefits of getting a PhD in Scientific Computing?

Obtaining a PhD in Scientific Computing can lead to a variety of career opportunities in both academia and industry. It allows for a deeper understanding of computational techniques and their applications in various fields, making graduates highly sought after for research positions and leadership roles. Additionally, a PhD in Scientific Computing can also lead to higher salaries and job stability.

3. What skills are needed for a PhD in Scientific Computing?

To excel in a PhD program in Scientific Computing, strong mathematical and programming skills are essential. You should also have a strong foundation in a scientific discipline, as well as a passion for problem-solving and critical thinking. Good communication and collaboration skills are also important, as research in this field often involves working in interdisciplinary teams.

4. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Scientific Computing?

The length of a PhD program in Scientific Computing can vary depending on the specific program and individual progress. On average, it takes about 4-5 years to complete a PhD, which includes coursework, research, and dissertation writing. However, the time can also be extended depending on the complexity and scope of the research project.

5. What are some potential research areas in Scientific Computing?

There are many exciting research areas in Scientific Computing, such as machine learning, data science, computational physics, bioinformatics, and computational chemistry. Some specific topics that are currently being explored include developing advanced algorithms for big data analysis, using artificial intelligence for drug discovery, and simulating complex physical systems using high-performance computing.