Energy niagra falls problem water

In summary, the Niagara Falls hydroelectric generating plant converts the energy of falling water into electricity with a height of 45 meters. Assuming high efficiency, one kilogram of falling water produces 441 joules of energy. To produce a megawatt of power (106 watts), approximately 2.4036E5 kilograms of water must go through the generators every second. This is calculated by dividing 106*10^6 J/s by 441 J/kg, resulting in 2267.57 kg/s.
mshah3
*problem:

In the Niagara Falls hydroelectric generating plant, the energy of falling water is converted into electricity. The height of the falls is about 45 meters. Assuming that the energy conversion is highly efficient, approximately how much energy is obtained from one kilogram of falling water? Therefore, approximately how many kilograms of water must go through the generators every second to produce a megawatt of power (106 watts)?

____kg/s

*formulas:

Gravitational energy = (mass) × g × (height).

*attempts:

I tried to find energy based on the fact one drop of water is one gram.
I ended up pluging in the values and got (45)(9.8) = 441
I found this to be incorrect.
Not sure how to relate mass to seconds to energy to height...
=/

Physics news on Phys.org
mgh = 1kg*9.8m/s^2*45m = 441 J for the first part was wrong?

well they ask for it in kg/s
is this the same units as joules?

mshah3 said:
well they ask for it in kg/s
is this the same units as joules?

that's the second part of the question... the first part is:

" how much energy is obtained from one kilogram of falling water?"

huh
well, there's only one answer to submit
i think they were simply restating the question to better explain

so are u saying that there are multiple steps to the problem or is it fine to say 441 J = 441 kg/s ?

mshah3 said:
huh
well, there's only one answer to submit
i think they were simply restating the question to better explain

so are u saying that there are multiple steps to the problem or is it fine to say 441 J = 441 kg/s ?

Oh, I think I see now. So 1 kg produces 441J.

You need to produce 106 mega watts = 106*10^6 J/s...

so in 1s you need to produce 106*10^6J ?

If 1kg produces 441J, how many kg produces 106*10^6J

so then:

x kg = (106E6) / (441) = 2.4036E5

mshah3 said:
so then:

x kg = (106E6) / (441) = 2.4036E5

exactly. 2.4036E5 kg/s is your answer.

i just submitted that
was incorrect

mshah3 said:
i just submitted that
was incorrect

I'm sorry. I got confused with the power... for some reason I thought it was 106 megawatts...

the power is 1 megawatt = 10^6 watts = 10^6 J/s

so 10^6/441 = 2267.57

2267.57 kg/s. check yourself also to make sure this makes sense and there aren't any mistakes...

1. How does the "Energy Niagara Falls Problem Water" work?

The "Energy Niagara Falls Problem Water" refers to the issue of harnessing the energy generated by the water flowing from Niagara Falls. This energy is converted into electricity through the use of hydroelectric power plants that are located near the falls. These plants use turbines to capture the kinetic energy of the falling water and convert it into electricity.

2. What is the impact of harnessing energy from Niagara Falls?

The use of hydroelectric power plants at Niagara Falls has both positive and negative impacts. On the positive side, it provides a renewable source of energy that does not emit greenhouse gases or contribute to air pollution. It also helps to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels. However, it can also affect the natural flow of the river and disrupt the ecosystem of the falls and surrounding areas.

3. How much energy is generated from Niagara Falls?

The amount of energy generated from Niagara Falls varies depending on factors such as the flow of water and the efficiency of the power plants. On average, it is estimated that the hydroelectric plants at Niagara Falls produce around 2.4 gigawatts of electricity, which is enough to power over 1.5 million homes.

4. Are there any alternative methods for harnessing energy from Niagara Falls?

While the use of hydroelectric power is the most common way to harness energy from Niagara Falls, there are also other methods being explored. These include using turbines that are placed directly in the river to capture the energy of the flowing water, as well as using the temperature difference between the water at the top and bottom of the falls to generate electricity.

5. How does the energy from Niagara Falls compare to other renewable energy sources?

Niagara Falls is one of the largest producers of hydroelectric power in the world, making it a significant source of renewable energy. However, it is important to note that there are other renewable energy sources, such as wind and solar power, that are also being used to generate electricity. Each source has its own benefits and drawbacks, and a combination of these sources is often used to meet our energy needs.