Little blue thing on my keyboard

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Keyboard
In summary: So it sounds like what you are trying to do is find a way to disable the "pointing stick" on your keyboard so that you can type without it moving the cursor. I'm not sure if that is something that is possible or if you would need to install a new driver. A device driver, or software driver, is a computer program allowing higher-level computer programs to interact with a device.Aha! So it sounds like what you are trying to do is find a way to disable the "pointing stick" on your keyboard so that you can type without it moving the cursor. I'm not sure if that is something that is possible or if you would need to install a new driver.
ehrenfest
Hello, I have a Dell D620 laptop and recently I have been having trouble with the input the tells the cursor where to go. I have the standard finger-pad that I use to move the cursor but there is also a little blue rubber thing between the "h" and the "g" on my keyboard that can also move the cursor. Recently, while I have been typing, when I press the keys close to the blue thing, it actually gives it enough vibration so the blue thing thinks I touched it and it moves the cursor away from where I am typing. This is really annoying because then the text starts showing up in the new location. Does that make sense?

Does anyone know how to turn the little blue thing off or make it less sensitive?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I also have a D620. Go to the control panel and open up the mouse dialog box. There should be a tab for "Device Select". Select that tab and find the section called "Pointing Stick" and click on "Disable device"

DaleSpam said:
I also have a D620. Go to the control panel and open up the mouse dialog box. There should be a tab for "Device Select". Select that tab and find the section called "Pointing Stick" and click on "Disable device"

I found "Mouse" in the control panel but when I clicked on it the only tabs were "Buttons", "Pointers", "Pointer Options","Wheel", and "Hardware". The third and fifth of those looked promising but I played around with them and I couldn't find anything called "Device Select" or make any other progress. :(

ehrenfest said:
I found "Mouse" in the control panel but when I clicked on it the only tabs were "Buttons", "Pointers", "Pointer Options","Wheel", and "Hardware". The third and fifth of those looked promising but I played around with them and I couldn't find anything called "Device Select" or make any other progress. :(

Do you see the first tab that says Dell Touchpad Settings? It doesn't look like there's much to do on that tab, but if you click on the giant picture of a touchpad, you get another menu with a "device select" option (yes, it's about the least intuitive place to put that control).

robphy said:
If you are missing those tabs, you might have to reinstall the
ALPS driver [under Input Device drivers]:
http://support.dell.com/support/dow...en&s=gen&SystemID=LATITUDE D620&os=WW1&osl=EN
(I did this recently for my D620.)

Yup, that was the solution. I wonder how I managed to delete that though? When I installed it said I already had the latest version on my computer...weird. But thanks so much it is so nice being able to type a complete line now without having to reposition the cursor!

ehrenfest said:
Yup, that was the solution. I wonder how I managed to delete that though? When I installed it said I already had the latest version on my computer...weird. But thanks so much it is so nice being able to type a complete line now without having to reposition the cursor!

You may not have deleted it, it may have been corrupted when something else got installed. I have a lot of problems getting drivers to stay put on my Dell (different model) when I install new software (I've just gotten in the habit of not installing anything new unless I have the driver CDs with me). I don't know if it is because it's a Dell or because it's Windows.

Moonbear said:
You may not have deleted it, it may have been corrupted when something else got installed. I have a lot of problems getting drivers to stay put on my Dell (different model) when I install new software (I've just gotten in the habit of not installing anything new unless I have the driver CDs with me). I don't know if it is because it's a Dell or because it's Windows.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly does a "driver" mean in this computer science context? I know what a "drive" is, but this is apparently different.

ehrenfest said:
Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly does a "driver" mean in this computer science context? I know what a "drive" is, but this is apparently different.

"device driver"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_driver

robphy said:

Wikipedia said:
A device driver, or software driver, is a computer program allowing higher-level computer programs to interact with a device.

Aha!

What is the little blue thing on my keyboard?

The little blue thing on your keyboard is most likely a trackpad or touchpad. It is used to control the cursor on your computer screen without using a traditional mouse.

Why is the little blue thing on my keyboard not working?

There could be several reasons why the little blue thing on your keyboard is not working. It could be due to a software issue, a hardware issue, or a setting that needs to be adjusted. Try troubleshooting by checking for any updates, restarting your computer, or adjusting the settings for the trackpad.

How do I use the little blue thing on my keyboard?

To use the little blue thing on your keyboard, simply place your finger on the trackpad and move it in the direction you want the cursor to go. You can also tap on the trackpad to click on items, and use gestures such as scrolling or zooming in and out.

Can I turn off the little blue thing on my keyboard?

Yes, you can turn off the little blue thing on your keyboard by adjusting the settings. Most laptops have a function key that allows you to turn off the trackpad, or you can disable it in the control panel or system preferences on your computer.

Is the little blue thing on my keyboard necessary?

No, the little blue thing on your keyboard is not necessary if you have a traditional mouse that you prefer to use. However, it can be a convenient and compact option for controlling your cursor if you do not have a mouse available.