What are the actual dimensions of the Horsehead nebula?

• Thread starter Maria76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nebula
In summary, the Horsehead Nebula is approximately 3.5 light years in length and 2.5 light years in width. Its size was determined through observations and measurements made by telescopes and other instruments, and it is not a constant size. Compared to other nebulae, the Horsehead Nebula is relatively small and cannot be seen with the naked eye.
Maria76
Hi,

I was looking at information about the Horsehead nebula on wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsehead_nebula

and it says that its apparent dimensions are 8x6 arcmins.

I'm not sure how to find the actual dimensions, say in light-years. Here's how I believe it should be, but I'm sure I'm wrong.

According to wikipedia, the nebula is 1500 ly away. 1 arcmin = 1/60 degrees. So the dimensions should be:

1500*tan(8/60) by 1500*tan(6/60), which is 3.5 ly by 2.6 ly.

Have I got it right, or have I missed something obvious.

Thanks,
Maria

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Maria76 said:
1500*tan(8/60) by 1500*tan(6/60), which is 3.5 ly by 2.6 ly.

Confirmed.

What is the size of the Horsehead Nebula?

The Horsehead Nebula is approximately 3.5 light years in length and 2.5 light years in width.

How was the size of the Horsehead Nebula determined?

The size of the Horsehead Nebula was determined through observations and measurements made by telescopes and other instruments, such as the Hubble Space Telescope. Scientists also use mathematical calculations based on the nebula's distance from Earth and its apparent size in the night sky to estimate its dimensions.

Is the size of the Horsehead Nebula constant?

No, the size of the Horsehead Nebula is not constant. As with other celestial objects, the size of the nebula can change over time due to various factors such as the expansion of the universe and interactions with other objects in space.

How does the size of the Horsehead Nebula compare to other nebulae?

The Horsehead Nebula is considered to be relatively small compared to other nebulae. For example, the Orion Nebula is approximately 24 light years in diameter, making it much larger than the Horsehead Nebula.

Can the size of the Horsehead Nebula be seen with the naked eye?

No, the Horsehead Nebula cannot be seen with the naked eye. It is only visible through powerful telescopes and long-exposure photography due to its large distance from Earth and low surface brightness.