Is there any way to know what program has visited which disk and when?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a tool to track and monitor internet activity by programs and directories. The use of a firewall and other Windows utilities are suggested as possible solutions, but concerns about advanced trojans and glitches are also mentioned. The conversation concludes with suggestions for specific software and a tutorial on monitoring disk activity.
Alex_Sanders
Call me paranoid if you will, but is there any handy tool that keep a track or can find out what program that has a possibility/ability of internet connection, has visited what directory by what time?

It could be a stand alone software, could be something that comes with windows. Does anybody knows any?

I have scanned my system disk and it always comes clean, but I think it is wise to be vigilant... all the time.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I believe that if you set your security settings high enough only those programs included on the exception list will be given access to the internet. Correct me if I am wrong.

Alex_Sanders said:
Call me paranoid if you will, but is there any handy tool that keep a track or can find out what program that has a possibility/ability of internet connection, has visited what directory by what time?

It could be a stand alone software, could be something that comes with windows. Does anybody knows any?

I have scanned my system disk and it always comes clean, but I think it is wise to be vigilant... all the time.
Do you mean a firewall? If a program attempts to connect to the internet, it will alert you and you can decide whether to let it connect. I use a free version of ZoneAlarm and it works very well.

Pattonias said:
I believe that if you set your security settings high enough only those programs included on the exception list will be given access to the internet. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, you are correct, however I still feel there may be trojans sophisticate enough to by pass my firewall undetected, or inject itself into other legit program. And I don't think it my concern has no reality basis.

Borg said:
Do you mean a firewall? If a program attempts to connect to the internet, it will alert you and you can decide whether to let it connect. I use a free version of ZoneAlarm and it works very well.

ZA is an excellent firewall, but glitches pretty bad sometimes.

For Windows check Sysinternals (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545027). While i don't know of an app that will yield a report of disk access by app there should be some Utilities that allow you to obtain information on a running process, such as open ports and file handles.

What is the purpose of knowing which program has visited which disk and when?

Knowing which program has visited which disk and when can help track down any malicious activities on the computer, troubleshoot system errors, and monitor disk usage.

Is there a built-in tool in operating systems to track program activity on disks?

Yes, most operating systems have built-in tools such as Event Viewer for Windows and Console for Mac that can track program activity on disks.

Can third-party software be used to track program activity on disks?

Yes, there are various third-party software available that can track program activity on disks, such as Process Monitor and Disk Activity Monitor.

Is there a way to view historical data of program activity on disks?

Yes, most tracking tools have a feature to view historical data of program activity on disks, allowing you to track activity over a certain period of time.

Can program activity on disks be tracked on a network or only locally?

Program activity on disks can be tracked both locally and on a network. However, it may require additional network monitoring tools for tracking activity on a network.