Starting learning number theory

In summary, I think that if you are interested in starting out with number theory, then you should get either Tom M. Apostol's book Introduction to Analytic Number Theory or Bach, Shalit: Algorithmic Number Theory.
Genericcoder
Hi guys I am really interested in number theory and I want to start studying it,because I am interested in logic of numbers.

Do you recommend any book to start with ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I bought Tom M. Apostol's book Introduction to Analytic Number Theory. So far it seems pretty readable. He even says that its accessible to sophisticated high school students. So make of that what you will!

Richard Crandall Carl Pomerance, Prime Numbers - A Computational Perspective.pdf

Bach, Shalit: Algorithmic Number Theory

Thanks a lot guys sorry for late reply just noticed the message.

I have 3 years of computer programming background,so hopefully I will get by these book with ease.

Genericcoder said:
I have 3 years of computer programming background,so hopefully ...

then perhaps you will not miss: 'Yan: Number Theory for Computig'

Classical Introduction to Modern Number Theory, Ireland and Rosen.

RamaWolf said:
then perhaps you will not miss: 'Yan: Number Theory for Computig'

Cool I will I am going to start with these books and then move on to more advanced books :).

This is not exactly a reply... But since I am also looking for a good book on Number Theory, I decided to post my question here. I hope you don't mind.

Do any of the books above contain exercise problems with answers/solutions?

I find that solving sample problems is the best way for me to learn. So I am looking for a book with good amount of exercises with answers/solutions at the back or with a solution manual available to purchase. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

When I took number theory in the fall we used Number Theory: A Lively Introduction, by Pommersheim, Marks, and Flapan. It's good in that its explanations are clear and simple and if you haven't written proofs before it provides a good introduction, but I suspect it is too simplistic for your purposes. It's a fun book and the math content is serious, but it's not the most rigorous book you could get. I'm also familiar with Tattersall's Elementary Number Theory in Nine Chapters, which is for more sophisticated students. My professor says it's a good introduction, but I found it to be riddled with typos. It does have some rather subtle proofs in the exercises, so it's interesting in that respect.

The disadvantage of both these books is that neither has answers in the back. I haven't looked for a solution manual, so I don't know about that.

It dosen't really teach you a lot of mathematics, but Fermat's Enigma by Simon Singh. It is really engaging and helps to explain the history of some of the more famous topics in number theory.

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers. It involves studying patterns and structures within numbers, and exploring concepts such as prime numbers, divisibility, and equations.

2. Why is number theory important?

Number theory has practical applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and computer science. It also helps us better understand the fundamental properties of numbers and their relationships, leading to advancements in other areas of mathematics.

3. How can I start learning number theory?

The best way to start learning number theory is by building a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts such as arithmetic, algebra, and geometry. Then, you can move on to studying specific topics in number theory, such as prime numbers and modular arithmetic.

4. What are some useful resources for learning number theory?

There are many resources available for learning number theory, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some popular textbooks include "Elementary Number Theory" by Kenneth H. Rosen and "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers" by G. H. Hardy and E. M. Wright. Online resources such as Khan Academy and Coursera also offer courses on number theory.

5. Are there any prerequisites for studying number theory?

While a strong foundation in basic mathematics is helpful, there are no specific prerequisites for studying number theory. However, a strong understanding of mathematical concepts such as logic, proofs, and algebraic manipulation will make it easier to grasp more advanced topics in number theory.