Physical equivalence of Lagrangian under addition of dF/dt

In summary, the student is struggling to solve a physics problem and has gotten stuck on a question about physically invariant Lagrangians. The question asks for a proof that the Euler-Lagrange equations are unchanged by the addition of dF/dt to the Lagrangian. The student has attempted to solve the problem by applying the chain rule and applying the substitution equation to differentiate F and then hoping that everything cancels nicely.
Favicon

Homework Statement

This isn't strictly a homework question as I've already graduated and now work as a web developer. However, I'm attempting to recover my ability to do physics (it's been a few months now) by working my way through the problems in Analytical Mechanics (Hand and Finch) in my free time and have got stuck on a question about physically invariant Lagrangians. I understand that the Lagrangian of a physical system is not unique because there are many Lagrangians for which the Euler-Lagrange equations reduce to the same thing.

The question I can't solve asks for a proof that the Euler-Lagrange (EL) equations are unchanged by the addition of [itex]dF/dt[/itex] to the Lagrangian, where [itex]F \equiv F(q_1, ..., q_2, t)[/itex].

Homework Equations

Euler-Lagrange equations: [itex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{∂L}{∂\dot{q_k}} - \frac{∂L}{∂q_k} = 0[/itex]

Change of Lagrangian [itex]L \rightarrow L' = L + \frac{dF}{dt}[/itex]

Chain rule: [itex]\frac{dF}{dt} = \sum\limits_k{\frac{∂F}{∂q_k}\frac{∂q_k}{∂t}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess the solution is to substitute the new Lagrangian, [itex]L'[/itex], into the EL equations and somehow show that it reduces to exactly the EL equations for [itex]L[/itex]. The substitution gives:

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{∂}{∂\dot{q_k}}\left(L + \frac{dF}{dt}\right) - \frac{∂}{∂q_k}\left(L + \frac{dF}{dt}\right) = 0[/itex]

This can be rewritten as:

[itex]\left(\frac{d}{dt}\frac{∂L}{∂\dot{q_k}} - \frac{∂L}{∂q_k}\right) + \left(\frac{d}{dt}\frac{∂}{∂\dot{q_k}}\frac{dF}{dt} - \frac{∂}{∂q_k}\frac{dF}{dt}\right) = 0[/itex]

where the first set of bracketed terms are just the left hand side of the EL equation in L. Therefore, I now need to show that the other bracketed terms equate to zero also. i.e.

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{∂}{∂\dot{q_k}}\frac{dF}{dt} - \frac{∂}{∂q_k}\frac{dF}{dt} = 0[/itex]

All I can think of to try next is apply the chain rule to the differentiation of [itex]F[/itex] and then hope that everything cancels nicely.

Applying the chain rule gives:

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{∂}{∂\dot{q_k}}\frac{∂F}{∂q_k} \frac{∂q_k}{∂t} + \frac{∂}{∂q_k}\frac{∂F}{∂q_k}\frac{∂q_k}{∂t} = 0[/itex]

So I guess my proof works if [itex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{∂}{∂\dot{q_k}} = \frac{d}{dt}\frac{∂}{∂q_k/∂t}[/itex] is equivalent to [itex]\frac{∂}{∂q_k}[/itex]. Is this correct? I feel like you can't just cancel the [itex]dt[/itex] and [itex]∂t[/itex] like this, but I can't see how else this proof can be done.

Physics news on Phys.org
Favicon said:
Chain rule: [itex]\frac{dF}{dt} = \sum\limits_k{\frac{∂F}{∂q_k}\frac{∂q_k}{∂t}}[/itex]

Correctly: [tex]\frac{dF}{dt} = \sum\limits_k{\frac{∂F}{∂q_k}\frac{dq_k}{dt}}+ \frac {∂F}{∂t}[/tex],

that is

[tex]\frac{dF}{dt} = \sum\limits_k{\frac{∂F}{∂q_k}\dot q_k}+ \frac {∂F}{∂t}[/tex]

Favicon said:
Therefore, I now need to show that the other bracketed terms equate to zero also. i.e.

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{∂}{∂\dot{q_k}}\frac{dF}{dt} - \frac{∂}{∂q_k}\frac{dF}{dt} = 0[/itex]

Correct.

Substitute equation [itex]\frac{dF}{dt} = \sum\limits_k{\frac{∂F}{∂q_k}\dot q_k}+ \frac {∂F}{∂t}[/itex] for dF/dt, derive it with respect of [itex]\dot q_k[/itex] and apply chain rule again when determining the time derivative.

ehild

You can do it without going all that dirty work by looking at the action

[itex]S=\int L dt = \int (L' + \frac{dF}{dt})dt [/itex]

That method seems much neater to me

Mod note: removed remaining steps.

Last edited by a moderator:
genericusrnme said:
You can do it without going all that dirty work by looking at the action
That method seems much neater to me

Yes, the variation of F disappears between the endpoints of the path... That was as we learnt, but it works with the derivatives, too.

Indeed, I was aware of the action as the simpler way to prove it, but I wanted to do it with derivatives too as the book I'm working from doesn't discuss action until later on. Thought it made a good exercise in partial differentiation and chain rule, which it seems I needed! In fact I'm still struggling a little. Applying the chain rule gives me:

[itex]
\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial}{\partial \dot{q_k}}\frac{dF}{dt} = \left(\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial q_k^2} + \frac{\partial^3F}{\partial q_k \partial \dot{q_k}\partial q_k} + \frac{\partial^3F}{\partial q_k\partial \dot{q_k}\partial t}\right) \dot{q_k} + \frac{\partial^2F}{\partial t\partial q_k} + \frac{\partial^3 F}{\partial t\partial\dot{q_k}\partial q_k} + \frac{\partial^3F}{\partial t\partial\dot{q_k}\partial t}
[/itex]

and

[itex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial q_k}\frac{dF}{dt} = \frac{\partial}{\partial q_k}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial q_k}\dot{q_k} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial t}\right)
[/itex]

Now, it seems to me that the only way this doesn't end with a lot of second and third order partial derivatives that don't cancel out is if I've got a sign wrong. For instance, if the chain rule had a minus [itex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial t}[/itex] at the end instead of plus, then I think everything would cancel out perfectly with each of the above becoming equal to zero, as required. But I don't think the chain rule should have a negative term like that.

Have I missed something?

Have you read my post #2?

[tex]\frac{dF}{dt} = \sum\limits_k{\frac{∂F}{∂q_k}\dot q_k}+ \frac {∂F}{∂t}[/tex]

First determine he derivative of dF/dt with respect to one of the velocity components, [itex]\dot q_j[/itex]
As F itself does not depend on the velocities,
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \dot q_j}\frac{dF}{dt}=\frac{∂F}{∂q_j}
[/tex]

Then take the time derivative of [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \dot q_j}\frac{dF}{dt}=\frac{∂F}{∂q_j}[/itex]:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt} ( \frac{∂F}{∂q_j} )[/tex]

and you have to subtract [itex] \frac{∂}{∂q_j}\frac{dF}{dt}[/itex] at the end.

ehild

Ah ha, it was the [itex]\frac{\partial }{\partial \dot{q_j}}\frac{dF}{dt} = \frac{\partial F}{\partial q_j}[/itex] that I missed. That got rid of all the 3rd order derivatives, leaving only 2nd order one's which all cancel each other out in the end. Thanks very much for the help ehild!

It was a great battle that ended well... :smile:

ehild

1. What is the physical significance of the Lagrangian?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical quantity that represents the total energy of a system in classical mechanics. It is used to describe the motion of particles and objects, and is an important concept in understanding the laws of motion.

2. What does it mean for two Lagrangians to be physically equivalent?

When two Lagrangians are physically equivalent, it means that they are mathematically different, but still describe the same physical system and result in the same equations of motion. This is known as the principle of least action, where the equations of motion are derived from minimizing the difference between two Lagrangians.

3. What is the role of dF/dt in the physical equivalence of Lagrangian?

dF/dt, or the time derivative of the Lagrangian, is a key factor in determining the physical equivalence of Lagrangians. If two Lagrangians differ only by a total time derivative (dF/dt), they are considered to be physically equivalent.

4. How does the physical equivalence of Lagrangian impact the laws of motion?

The physical equivalence of Lagrangian is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics, and it plays a crucial role in deriving the equations of motion for a system. By considering all possible Lagrangians that describe a system, and only choosing those that are physically equivalent, we can arrive at the correct equations of motion that govern the behavior of the system.

5. Can the physical equivalence of Lagrangian be applied to all systems?

Yes, the principle of physical equivalence of Lagrangian can be applied to all systems in classical mechanics, regardless of their complexity. It is a powerful tool for understanding the laws of motion and predicting the behavior of physical systems.