Interested in Chaos Theory, Complex Systems, Nonlinear Systems

In summary: I'll definitely start reading up on all of this.In summary, you should study differential equations, linear algebra, and statistical mechanics if you want to study chaos, nonlinear systems, and complex systems at graduate level.
mathsciguy
As the thread title says I'm interested in Chaos Theory, Complex Systems, and Nonlinear Systems. If I can help it, I'd like to study these at graduate level. My question is what kind and how much mathematics I'm supposed to know if I'm to study these?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your background? I know mathematicians who study this, physicists who study this, and mechanical engineers who study this. They all make significant contributions in different ways, some theoretical and some experimental. I think that one of the neatest things about dynamical systems is that it is very intuitive. You can read Strogatz to get very comfortable with the concepts and then read Wiggins from cover to cover. You can study from a purely mathematical point of view or you can go to the engineering school at Cornell and study dynamical systems, it's up to you. Start some reading.

I'm still in my first year as a physics major so you can assume I don't have that much significant knowledge yet. I just asked so that I can prepare early if I actually decide to study this in the near future. I'd try looking up those you've mentioned, thanks.

At the very least, you'll want a strong background in differential equations and analysis.

mathsciguy said:
I'm still in my first year as a physics major so you can assume I don't have that much significant knowledge yet. I just asked so that I can prepare early if I actually decide to study this in the near future. I'd try looking up those you've mentioned, thanks.

That's still pretty early to start thinking about nonlinear systems. Just learn as much as you can from your current courses and grab a differential equations book for the summer to self study. Any differential equations course or book will touch on nonlinear systems after you have a feeling of regular DE's. You're going to need some basic linear algebra to start also for the Jacobians. Analysis can't hurt either. I would highly recommend learning MATLAB right now as well. For me, nonlinear systems are best understood qualitatively because the math can get kinda nasty. Punching a non linear system through into a plot explains a whole lot.

SophusLies said:
That's still pretty early to start thinking about nonlinear systems. Just learn as much as you can from your current courses and grab a differential equations book for the summer to self study. Any differential equations course or book will touch on nonlinear systems after you have a feeling of regular DE's. You're going to need some basic linear algebra to start also for the Jacobians. Analysis can't hurt either. I would highly recommend learning MATLAB right now as well. For me, nonlinear systems are best understood qualitatively because the math can get kinda nasty. Punching a non linear system through into a plot explains a whole lot.

Well yeah, it might appear to be a leap but I think having a goal is better. About differential equations, can it be done with only one semester knowledge of DE (I assume they only touch mostly ordinary differential equations)? Now about MATLAB, does it necessarily have to be it? Since I'm also learning python right now.

if you're looking to do that stuff in grad school, here's a short list of stuff i'd try to take while still an undergrad ... a lot of this is stuff you'll probably take anyway for your degree:

linear algebra
ODEs
classical mechanics
statistical mechanics

stuff you may not have to take for a physics degree but would be helpful for what you want / could count towards the degree depending on your school / department:

real analysis
complex analysis
graduate level classical mechanics class
graduate level linear algebra
dynamics / bifurcation theory
+any honors or 1st year grad classes related to chaos/nonlinear systems/etc... you can manage to fit in senior year.

Likes Argonaut
Take all of the advice above. Go to math and take whatever 3rd and 4th year ode's they have. Take an undergrad analysis class. I would even recommend going to mechanical engineering if they offer a non-linear vibrations course. Buy Strogatz's book if you're new to this. Whether or not you understand it now depends on your background to date. You have lots of options, just don't scrimp on the math. I've always used MATLAB, I know nothing about python. Here is a fantastic toy that I've used for a long time, dfield/pplane, bookmark it:

http://math.rice.edu/~dfield/dfpp.html

Thanks guys these just made everything clearer.

1. What is chaos theory?

Chaos theory is a branch of mathematics and physics that studies the behavior of complex systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions. It explores how small changes in initial conditions can lead to vastly different outcomes in the long term.

2. How does chaos theory relate to complex systems?

Chaos theory is often applied to study complex systems, which are made up of many interacting parts and exhibit emergent behavior. It helps us understand how seemingly random or chaotic behavior can arise from simple rules and interactions between these components.

3. What are nonlinear systems?

Nonlinear systems are those in which the output is not directly proportional to the input. In other words, small changes in the input can lead to large and unpredictable changes in the output. This is a key characteristic of chaotic systems.

4. What are some real-world applications of chaos theory and complex systems?

Chaos theory and complex systems have been applied in various fields, such as meteorology, economics, biology, and engineering. For example, chaos theory has been used to model weather patterns and predict stock market fluctuations, while complex systems thinking has helped us understand ecological systems and design more efficient transportation networks.

5. Can chaos be controlled or predicted?

While chaos theory helps us understand the underlying patterns and behavior of complex systems, it is not possible to fully control or predict chaotic systems. This is due to the highly sensitive nature of these systems, where even small changes in initial conditions can lead to drastically different outcomes in the long term.