Resonance RLC of Tweeter for Speaker

In summary: What is the "error of" that you are asking about?Also, I don't see a method described above. I see some statements about what you see on the graphs. But I don't see any method.I don't know what information you have to work with. I don't know what your text calls a "frequency response". I don't know what your text calls "impedance". I don't know what your text calls "resonance". I don't know what your text calls "Q". I don't know what your text calls "fractional bandwidth". I don't know what your text calls "curve". I don't know what your text calls
jegues

Homework Statement

We are modeling the tweeter of speaker and its enclosure with the circuit shown in the figure attached.

We are also given an "magnitude of input impedance" curve as shown in the figure with various data points.

With access to these various data points we are able to determine the various components values within the equivalent circuit.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At low frequencies only R1 is visible, thus |Zin| = R1.

At the resonance frequency due to the enclose we will see R1 and R2 in series, thus the peak value in the |Zin| graph is R1 + R2. Since we know R1 already we can solve R2.

At high frequencies we will see R1 in series with L1, but due to the high frequency we can essentially neglect R1, thus |Zin| ≈ ωL1.

So the linear portion seen after the hump due to the resonance from the encloser can be thought to have an angle β, such that tanβ = slope = L1.

Thus we can use the data computes to compute the slope on this section of the curve and solve for L1.

Now that part I am stuck on is with regards to L2 and C2.

Is it possible to find L2 and C2 uniquely? If so, how?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• TweeterQ.JPG
    TweeterQ.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 607
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you could obtain one relationship between C and L2 from the resonance peak, since the imaginary part of the impedance should go to zero at ##\omega_o##. You've found values for all the other components, and ##\omega_o## can be read on the graph.

Then you'd have to find another relationship from a point on the graph where all the components are contributing to the net impedance. The minimum after the resonance peak catches my eye, but off hand I don't know the formula for the minima there...

Maybe the information can be gleaned from the Q of the circuit? Will the width of the peak give you the fractional bandwidth?

gneill said:
I suppose you could obtain one relationship between C and L2 from the resonance peak, since the imaginary part of the impedance should go to zero at ##\omega_o##. You've found values for all the other components, and ##\omega_o## can be read on the graph.

Then you'd have to find another relationship from a point on the graph where all the components are contributing to the net impedance. The minimum after the resonance peak catches my eye, but off hand I don't know the formula for the minima there...

Maybe the information can be gleaned from the Q of the circuit? Will the width of the peak give you the fractional bandwidth?

I think everything you've mentioned is heading in the correct direction.

I want to follow through with these ideas and run with it.

The minimum after the resonance peak catches my eye, but off hand I don't know the formula for the minima there...

What formula are you reffering to? Does it have a name associated to it, or is it just a general formula for determining a minimum from a finite set of data points?

Why would you select the minimum after the resonance peak? How I can relate that back to L2 and C2?

When you say fractional bandwidth what are you referring to? (I've never heard that term before)

Is it as such,

[tex]Q = \frac{f_{o}}{\Delta f}[/tex]

where,

[tex]\Delta f[/tex]

is the fractional bandwidth?

If that is the case I could approximate,

[tex]\Delta f[/tex]

from the data points on the graph by finding two points on either side of the maximum such that |Zin| has a value that is half of this maximum value, occurring at the resonance frequency.

Once I have this I have Q becuase I know the resonant frequency at which the maximum occurs and Q will relate back to L2 and C2 as such,

[tex]Q = R \sqrt{\frac{C}{L}}[/tex]

since it is modeled as a parallel RLC.

I'd love to hear more of your thoughts.

Cheers!

Last edited:
jegues said:

At the resonance frequency due to the enclose we will see R1 and R2 in series, thus the peak value in the |Zin| graph is R1 + R2. Since we know R1 already we can solve R2.

Not quite, at resonance you have R1 + L1 + R2 in series or (R1+R2, jX(L1)).

jegues said:
At high frequencies we will see R1 in series with L1, but due to the high frequency we can essentially neglect R1, thus |Zin| ≈ ωL1.
Essentially true, however it's not that difficult to set up a complex expression that represents the whole network. With the proper Add-In, Excel can do complex arithmetic.

jegues said:
So the linear portion seen after the hump due to the resonance from the encloser can be thought to have an angle β, such that tanβ = slope = L1.

Thus we can use the data computes to compute the slope on this section of the curve and solve for L1.

Now that part I am stuck on is with regards to L2 and C2.

Is it possible to find L2 and C2 uniquely? If so, how?
Yes, it is.

What do you know about how the Q of a circuit is defined and calculated?
What is the relationship between X(C) and X(L2) at resonance?
What is the relationship between R2 and X(C) or R2 and X(L) at resonance?

Last edited:
gneill said:
The minimum after the resonance peak catches my eye, but off hand I don't know the formula for the minima there...

The minimum after the resonant peak is due to the series resonance of L1 with the parallel combination of C and L2 where the parallel combination has a negative reactance that conjugately matches the reactance of L1.

skeptic2 said:
The minimum after the resonant peak is due to the series resonance of L1 with the parallel combination of C and L2 where the parallel combination has a negative reactance that conjugately matches the reactance of L1.

Is the method I described above with Q enough for determining L2 and C2 uniquely? (With some error of course)

Q is defined by the Δf of the half power frequencies, by either L/Z or C/Z for series circuits or Z/L and Z/C for parallel circuits. So how do we find the half power frequencies when we haven't defined the power. Since P = E^2/R then PR = E^2, so yes, you would select the frequencies at which the impedance is 1/2 the maximum value.

So by dividing the frequency of peak impedance by the bandwidth between the two half impedance values, you can get the Q. At resonance the impedance seen is due almost entirely to R2 and X(C) and X(L2) are equal to R2/Q. Once you have X(C) and X(L2), you can easily calculate C and L2.

Last edited:

What is resonance in an RLC circuit?

Resonance in an RLC circuit is a phenomenon that occurs when the inductive reactance and capacitive reactance cancel each other out, resulting in a high impedance and a large current flow. This can also occur in a tweeter for a speaker.

How does resonance impact the performance of a tweeter?

Resonance can greatly impact the performance of a tweeter by causing an uneven frequency response. This can result in certain frequencies being amplified or attenuated, leading to distortion and an overall poor sound quality.

What factors can affect the resonance of a tweeter?

The resonance of a tweeter can be affected by various factors, such as the capacitance and inductance of the circuit, the material and construction of the tweeter, and the frequency range being produced. Changes in any of these factors can alter the resonance frequency of the tweeter.

How can resonance be controlled in a tweeter?

Resonance in a tweeter can be controlled by using a crossover network, which is a circuit that filters out specific frequencies and directs them to the appropriate speaker. This can help prevent the tweeter from producing frequencies that may cause resonance.

Why is it important to consider resonance when designing a tweeter for a speaker?

Considering resonance is crucial in designing a tweeter for a speaker because it greatly impacts the overall sound quality. If resonance is not properly controlled, it can result in distortion, uneven frequency response, and potentially damage the tweeter. By understanding and accounting for resonance, the tweeter can be designed to produce a smooth and accurate frequency response, resulting in better sound reproduction.