Should I stay in the same discipline or become more versatile?

• Thread starter Spirochete
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photoshop
In summary, Jacob is a high school student pursuing a career in physics. He has a midterm in a speech class to interview someone in the field, and he is open to anyone asking questions. He would like advice on interviewing for a career in physics, and he would like advice on math difficulties. He has attended a local collage, and is currently in the process of applying to graduate school.
Spirochete
I'm a 3rd year university student, microbiology/biochem major. I also recently found after taking Organic One that I have a knack for organic chemistry. I know a couple things for sure: I love science and I love school. Problem is, I'm unsure if I want to be a teacher/professor and I definitely would hate industry type lab work. Although it would be fun to get a doctorate, in the end I'm doubtful I could ever put it to its true use: directing and overseeing independant research. Plus writing grants sounds really boring.

I know I love working individually with people, explaining things and helping people solve problems. So my organic skills seem like my best bet for finding a job. Anybody have advice on job opportunities from what I've described above?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear all,
I am a graduated of engineering faculty communications departement, I will be in greece soon (after about 8 months) , until now I have no experience at any field of communications. And when I come to Greece I want to get a good job with a good salary, so I want to work now to enforce and develop my skills in the field which more jobs in greece and also with good salaries. The fields I can work in the communications and computer fields especially (Networking{ routing&switching} or secuirty , embeded systems , programming with VHDL or C/C++ , Mobile generations )
so please help to choose the suitable field for me and if you have informations about the salaries for the fresh graduated engineers in Greece please tell me
Thank you for your time
Best regards
Ayman

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone,
I started back to school a couple of years ago pursuing a BS in mechanical engineering. I'm moving at a snails pace just able to take a night class or two a semester getting my math, science, and physics out of the way at a local Jr collage. But I haven't got to any actual engineering classes yet. My wife has recently finished her bachelor of science and the last few weeks been going to interviews for pharmacy schools. To day we received her acceptance to Belmont University in Nashville, TN so we will be moving down in the fall. What I'm wondering is since I will have to find a new job down there I would like to get some experience in the engineering field with my new job but I don't know where people usually get started in this. I'm mostly interested in power plants or manufacturing settings and am wondering if these places usually have people or a team maybe who work in there engineering department under the engineers to gain there work experience before they graduate.

Any insight or advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Jacob

Hello, I am 17 (still in high school) currently taking a speech class (No physics classes during summer :( ) this summer for a few credits and for a little bit of fun however, I am seriously pursuing a career as a physicist. Now for this speech class I mentioned earlier I have a midterm which is to present a speech about how to join a career of my choice and well, I also need to interview someone in the field. Now, I thought that this would be a good place to come and ask a few questions for not only this class but also to become more familiar with my future.

Please PM and answer if you wish but this is open to anyone really and here are a few things I am going to ask maybe I might ask for fallow up questions to anyone who seems inserted in helping me or seems like some one I would like to know more about.

1. What is your Job title and how long have you been working in that position?

2. What drew you into the field of physicist and what kept you going in that field?

3. What were some struggles you had to go through to be in the position you are in now, how did you overcome them and are there some struggles you go through now?

4. What is the favorite thing about your job, second favorite, and what just pisses you off about your job and why?

5. Do you have any advice can you give to someone who might have a little bit of trouble in math, but a strong determination to go on?

6. Where did/do you go to collage, grad school etc and what where some good and bad things about those places, and what would you recommend to an aspiring quantum/theoretical physicist? (I am still unsure of my subfield as all of science is inspiring to me)

7. Do you have any life experiences you would like to share, and what made them so important?

8. What is your name? * If you feel uncomfertable with sharing this then I can keep you anonymous.

I thank anyone in advance for reading this and if you have any suggestions for improving any questions or something please respond and if you can answer anyone of these questions that would be awesome.

hey guys, I am jake and i have just finished my foundation physics year at swansea university, south wales, i am hopefully gna start my 1st year in september.

i am just wondering if you guys know any where where i am able to do work experience.
it can be more in the side of engineering or physics, but primarily physics as i am doing a degree in physics.

if you can just jot em dnw on the reply box and i will try my best to get to work there :)

(also i am going to CERN 22nd april 2010 with my physics class, should be an amazing exeprience :) :) )

Hello everybody!

Before I go to a problem, I’d like to apologize for my bad English cause it’s not my native language.

I am 21 years old student from Estonia. I am studying mechanical engineering over there. I just finished my first year of university, but I am more than sure that I will gain success only if I focus on certain field in early stage. Like in any other case the main question is what would be the best profession for me!?

Estonia is a small country and there’s no big opportunities for mechanical engineers. Still, at the moment i feel myself very confident. I know I am mechanically minded – I can see the problems, analyse them and also find solutions to solve them. I feel like I have inborn capacity. Everything else can be achieved by studying and practicing.

Recently I came in for a golden opportunity, however the chance it will work is 50/50. I might have chance to get training in every school holiday during the next 2 years(till I finish my bachelor of mechanical engineering). I would be trained in England and company will pay for the traveling expenses and accommodation. That means after my bachelor degree I have to work 2 more years in England, where more training would be provided. After that I probably would have to go China, Shanghai where I will get work as a sealing engineer. The company manufactures and distributes specialty seals used in hydraulic, pneumatic, and pipeline applications. This company is one of the unit of leading British-based manufacturer of industrial belting and other polymer-based products..

I have always been interested in fabrication. Making a product from steel bar and everything else that belongs to that process. I try always figure out how thing are made and I also got some ideas on my head. Especially when it bears on steel profiles, alloys but also composites and polymers. I have pondered a idea of CNC machinery and computer-aided-engineering.
I have begun to think more and more maybe the money isn’t most important and I should do something that I really like. Something I don’t get bored but is challenging on the same time. I don't want to look after someones work, I want to make something on my own.

What do you think? Am I stupid if I give away a opportunity like I described above and start to do something else. One thing is dead sure – I have to leave my country. That means I need to find a company who is ready to support my studies and trainings. What could be a suitable profeesion for me?

Thank you for everybody who take a trouble to read this topic!

NOTE: If somebody knows any better place I could post this question please let me know.

Last edited:
Assuming someone has the credentials to apply for postdoc jobs in theoretical physics and pure math in the same institute, and get accepted to both of them, could he work them out both of them?

I am asking, cause I have seen people who are already in the tenure track who have chairs in both Applied Math and Theoretical Physics, so I wondered if it's possible with pure math.

My feeling is that PostDoc is like Phd, as in you can do only one at a time, but I am not sure if it applies here too.

Hi all.

I'm currently doing my masters in Information and Library Science from one of the most reputed institutes in India. Our institute is also the best for Math, so lot of my time is spent around people who're really good at Math.

I will be frank with you guys: I wasn't much interested in studies in general and Math in particular until the 9th and 10 grades, when I did fairly good at Math. I have always been an average student, and thanks to the presence of an extremely talented sibling, I did extremely poor in Math and Physics in the 11th and 12th grades, thinking that I wasn't good for it (not that I blame my brother for it in any way.)

Consequently he next three years were spent in pursuing a dual bachelors in Life Sciences and IT. This time again, I wasn't much interested in coursework, but I've always led my class.

Now that I'm surrounded by so many mathematicians, I suddenly feel interested in Math again. While I do not meet the eligibility criteria for a Masters in Applied Math, I believe my Bachelors in IT would help, plus research experience in my current field (I am dabbling in applications of mathematical morphology, which require some working knowledge of discrete math, linear algebra and topology.) However many people keep telling me this is near impossible. I've started out with basic Calculus, and it may be hard at times, but I am still chugging along.

Do you guys think this is possible?

P.S. This post would be incomplete if I fail to admit that the choice of doing Applied Math is also related to the fact that my brother is a cryptographer-turned-economist.

Let's say you think you have a good idea, but you're too scared to publish because if you're wrong you can ruin your reputation, how do you go about getting feed back?

I have presented the idea in the link below

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=399767

to a couple colleagues and they find it cute and insightful. Additionally, there's so much literature, I could spend years doing background research, and still not figure out if some one published the same thing in some obscure place.

Despite the fact I'm about to get my PhD, I still could use the guidance of a mentor. I feel like this is a sign that I should quit research.

Hello all. I sign up for classes in just under two weeks. I'm a freshman, and I am at a crossroads as to what my major will be. Currently I'm in chemical engineering, although I've taken no chemE classes. I really want to work with computational neurobiology OR alternative energy. I think it would also be cool to design medical technology or pharmaceuticals. I chose chemE last year since it's supposedly the most versatile and I really like chemistry, but I really DO NOT want to be stuck in production on a large scale...I also have found out that it's not really THAT much chemistry. That would be almost like working at McDonald's for me.

I can switch to biomedical engineering with the only consequence being me having taken an extra semester of chemistry. Which field do you feel would ultimately be best leading me to my dream jobs? I plan on pursuing at least a Master's degree in whichever field I enter. I'll probably do a physics or math minor to accompany either one.

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

As the title states I am going to start working as self employed contractor at a hourly rate, though I am not exactly sure what I am worth and am some what new to this. Let me give you some info and if you have a clue or advice that would be great.

My experience:
I graduated a big ten university with a degree in biomedical engineering last spring, and am now in another school pursuing a grad degree in engineering with a focus on micro/nano tech. I have 1.5yrs of research experience working with a prof developing thin films, and 9months of experience working with a start up developing a assembly method and characterization of a microfluidic device. For the last 6 months I have worked as a research assistant where i have mainly been working on active release polymer coatings. Additionally I am in my late 20's and before I started my engineering degree I got a degree in autobody and have worked in that industry and various other trades for about 6yrs. Thus I am not a spring chicken, though as a engineer I don't have the most extensive experience.

The Job:
The job is a R&D job where I will be developing a process using electrochemistry(I am sort of new to this) to produce small production batches of a certain material. It will likely be a contract hourly position with no benefits. Right now the guy who wants me to do this will be having me do this in a attempt to start up a company in the field, he already has some other companies in a similar field though this is a bit different. I was strongly recommended to him by both the guy I did microfluidics work for and a Prof. who does work both with the microfluidics guy and this guy I am going to do the R&D with, in fact there is a strong possibility I will be doing the work out of that Profs. lab. It is a semi temp position till the job is done or I restart my grad work in the fall(he knows this), at which point my role with either cease, or be on a part time basis.

Thanks for your help.

I have two options

1.) Master degree in AMO physics at university ranked (in physics) somewhere around 50 of the top 100 in the world. Duration 2 years.
I could customize this degree the way I want (that is choosing lectures I like etc...).
I’ would specialize in experimental direction and if all goes well I'll try to enter PhD program.
If not, I'll search for a job with this degree.

2.) PhD in physics with scholarship, research field would probably be something related to
sub-nuclear particle detectors instrumentation and software development (not sure jet).
I have some experience in software development for particle detectors.
University is ranked somewhere 200-300 overall, I'm not sure for physics rank but it's
not in top 100 in the world)
Duration 4 years, with scholarship I would not spend any of my money, but also I would
earn very little, more like zero.

Under both options are EU countries, but under option 1.) is a country with much stronger economy,
Scholarships for PhD's are 1,5-2 times bigger also there are real jobs for physicist outside academia (not just quant’s, software developers etc…)

I think that AMO physics and photonics has wider scope of applications than nuclear/sub-nuclear particle physics
So my choice is 1.) , but I'm not sure if that is the case.
My preference would be to go in experimental physics where I could learn things than I can apply also outside
academia but within the scope of physics, technology and engineering.
To be plain software developer at some company or a quant is not an option,
I do not like jobs that are mainly office/desk jobs.

I have something like master degree in physics equivalent in EU countries,
but some faculties do recognize it as master and some not.

You can give me any comments and your thoughts.

I've been doing research for a number of years now, and I wanted to ask how every one else goes about it.

1) What are your research strategies? How long do you spend on them? Do you think the same research strategy would work in a different field?

2) Do you have any habits and practices that help? (I only recently started doing annotated bibliographies)

3) How do you diversify / manage the risk from focusing on one potentially bad topic, with the requirement to produce something?

4) How often do you find interacting with others helps your research? In what ways does it help?

Last edited:
I currently have a dilemma. I currently do structural FEA analysis (mechanics/vibrations) in the gas turbine industry. This has mainly been my specialty as I have had little experience in other areas of gas turbines. However, I have always been fascinated on a personal level with the aerodynamics/combustion processes involved. As I continue my career I see two paths.

1. Continue pursuing my field and specialize in other aspects of it (ie. thermal stresses, heat transfer, etc). Although these are slightly different disciplines, they are all linked to structures and FEA and hence I can easily pursue those areas without making a huge career change.

2. Completely change my discipline and pursue aerodynamics/combustion. This however would mean that I would be essentially starting from scratch and learning everything new methods (ie. CFD) which I have no current proficiency in.

3. Stay in my current discipline and become highly proficient in mechanics/vibrations and focus on various parts of gas turbines.

The second option would make me more versatile in the field as I would be exploring more. However, I'm afraid it would slow down my career progress and should I want to switch to another company I would be seen as inexperienced in the discipline. I plan on staying in my current discipline for a total of 5 years before making any switch.

My main reason for wanting to switch disciplines is because I want to explore new things which I have not explored before and I have always wanted to be a well rounded engineer. I fear though that I would be spreading myself thin, and I would be more valuable by mastering one discipline.

It all comes down to versatility versus job security as I have been progressing well in my current discipline.

Are there any thoughts on this? Would spending five years in my discipline just to switch hurt my career in any way? Has anyone made a huge career change and if so what were the benefits/consequences?

Is it worth while staying in one field and mastering it?

Background:
I've just graduated with a B.S. in Civil Engineering and my senior level courses were all in structural engineering.

Problem:
I'm looking for my first "real" job now and have been wondering whether it's worth looking for a job specifically in structural engineering and continuing to specialize in this one field or if I should broaden my horizons and take any technical job I can get that sounds interesting.

Thanks for any advice. :)

Last edited:
I completed my Bachelors and Masters in Mechanical Engineering. I was inclined towards the research from my bachelors. To gain an insight in the market scenario and new technological advancements, I joined an automobile company. Now after having the taste of the new technologies in this field, I want to go back. But I am little confused now which field to opt for higher studies.
I was deeply interested in simulation, mechanics and dynamics. Earlier I was thinking about planetary science or analytical mechanics to choose as my fields for higher studies. But after this job, I came to know that companies are not interested in analytical studies, they go for empirical data and then simulation and get their work done.
Need some guidance on this. Please explicitly throw some light on this matter.
Thank you

Hey there guys.

The problem with me is that I always feel kinda fuzzy and undecided. First of all I love programming and Computer Science.

I'm pretty good, I also have knowledge of web programming, and so.

and the "BUT" starts here. I also want to learn designing, to become a little creative with tools like Photoshop.

And the next thing is that I also love 3D modeling.

Now, the path I've chosen to go is CS (Comp Sci)

But would it be 'wrong' to pay some of my free time to designing and 3D modeling?
What do you think? Thanks :D

I'm at a community college right now and... the physics/math classes there are depressingly boring. I do a lot of studying on my free time, and I have a tutor who's helping me in my self-studies, but every once in a while I start thinking that self-studying isn't enough. After all I'll probably have to take the classes anyways. Does anyone have advice for what I can do that will make me more attractive to colleges or employers? I applied for an REU but got denied.

My http://mathandcode.com/dmoore/ has a lot of "cool" stuff on it, but... it's a bit lacking in academic background. My math teacher recommends that I start learning about finite element analysis.

Perhaps I should start an open source library? Or should I just keep devoting my free time to studying? (I'm almost finished with Newtonian Mechanics by A.P. French and I'm starting what will be a grueling journey through Rudin's book on analysis)

[edit]
Crud, I thought I was posting this in academic guidance.

Last edited:
I am posting, because I'm looking for some feedback from more experienced and knowledgeable posters who can let me know if I'm on the right track.

I've always wanted to be a mechanical engineer and try to find ways to make machinery more energy efficient (ex: assembly machines at a GM plant). I throughly enjoy Physics, Chemistry, and Math. I usually do very well in the math components of Physics and Chemistry, but I struggle on the theory component (it's simply a matter putting more time into it). Right now, I'm 23 years old, I work in the public sector making and average income, pension + benefits etc. I'm REALLY considering going back to school for Engineering, because I think it will be more intellectually challenging and fulfilling at the same time. I am currently courses to refresh my memory on mathematical and scientific concepts, as I have forgotten them from not using them in the past few years. I am also doing very well in the courses simply because I am interested in the course materials and don't mind putting the time into it.

Basically, I would like to know from people (who may have experienced a similar situation or who work in Engineering) if this is a worthwhile endeavour?

hello everyone,

I received my bachelor's in electrical engineering about one year ago

I currently work as a hardware engineer. I essentially do everything between obtaining specifications from marketing, to writing assembly instructions for mass production of the final product.

recently, I got an offer to be a test engineer for another company. I'm not crazy about moving into testing after a design position, but the pay is much better, and I think there would be a lot more opportunity to move up in the company, since it is much, much larger. the location is also much more appealing, and is actually the reason I applied in the first place. But I feel that the actual work will be less challenging, and may limit my future.

my ultimate goal is to get a position that is in research, preferably some emag related stuff. the new test engineer position would be emag/rf related, so maybe that is a plus.

my main concern is, would it be terribly difficult to move into research after working as a test engineer for a couple of years? or if it would be better to stick it out at my current design position and try and move into research after that.

would appreciate any thoughts or experiences anyone has to share.

thanks

Hello, I'm new to the forum but have read within it before. I have struggled when deciding to major either in engineering or physics. I'm now fairly certain that I want to follow the physics route due to the fact that I've always been a thinker not a builder, and I have a higher interest in pure physics than applied. Now my dispute is between colleges. I have been looking at OSU, Ohio Northern, Kent State, and University of Cincinnati. I've visited OSU and Ohio Northern but still need to check out the other two. While OSU is strong in physics I'm set back by the size and magnitude of students and I'm also unsure as if I could make it into main campus with my test scores, GPA, and class rank. But I may end up going to a regional campus for my first year but then again the size of OSU scares me into believing that the attention wil not be there.

Next I visited ONU which has a great faculty and staff that seems to really want you to succeed but when reviewing the professors of physics on rate my professor many got poorly rated. On the other hand I talked to one of the professors for a half hour walking around the lab and talking about what they have to offer. They have a 100 percent placement and have many opportunities for research because they only hold undergrads. I'm just in a dispute between them all cause Kent and Cincinati are also nationally ranked by US News. Does anyone have any advice or experience with these colleges? If so, advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I just turned 24, and i am about to attend te university of Maryland in fall. Ever since i was young I've loved art, i have been drawing as far back as i can remember. My artwork ranges from landscapes to abstract. Whatever career i choose it has to allow me to be creative. I also have a love for science and things that are technical, i constantly watch the science channel and browse through this website. Though my math skills aren't the greatest, when i understand mathematics i find it to be beautiful. I especially like geometry for the artistic qualities it possesses. Mathematically i have gone a little beyond trigonometry. And may take calculus soon for the major that i deiced upon. Physics has been interesting me recently, though it's the mathematics that stumps me time and time again. I was thinking of doing something in the computer science field because that's where the money seems to be and where the future of the world is leading more and more. Anyways what do you think i should do for a career, any advice anyone has is welcomed.

Thank you!

hi all
I was going to study Electrical Engineering at Cleveland State University.
so considering the current situation in Syria nowadays I have to change the plan.
my new destination is Germany and I choose Germany due to school tuition there (it's free) so anyway I want to change my major too ,Mechanical engineering is what I want to do now.
I was thinking about an additional skill to learn while in college studying ME.
I want the skill to be related to Mechanical engineering ,so any recommendations?

do you remember 50 cent TV show when they used to modify cars?? I am thinking about that.
what's the name of that career? or skill?

what about fixing cars??

waiting for your replies.

First post here and i hope this is the correct forum to ask this. I'm currently on my 5th semester of Computer Engineering. I´m having some hard time deciding on what to specialize or what to do when i go out from university.

Some areas or subjects I'm interested are Mathematics, programming, also gpgpu computing and how gpu/cpu micro architectures are developed/works and how to relate the hardware or architecture to the software.

That's some subjects I'm really interested to have a career when i go out, but i don't have a clear idea what position or job is to work on some of those areas or what i should look for? I'm really confused on what to do later when i graduate.

I hope some of you could clarify me this and give me an idea on what to look for.

Thanks for reading.

1. Should I stick to my current discipline or explore other areas of science?

It ultimately depends on your personal goals and interests. Staying in the same discipline can allow you to become an expert in that field and make significant contributions. However, branching out into other disciplines can broaden your knowledge and skills, making you more versatile and adaptable.

2. Will exploring other disciplines impact my career?

It may have some impact, but it can also open up new opportunities and make you a more well-rounded scientist. Employers often value versatility and the ability to work across different disciplines.

3. How do I know if I have the skills to be successful in a different discipline?

It's important to assess your strengths and weaknesses, as well as your motivation and willingness to learn. Consider talking to others in the discipline you're interested in, attending workshops or conferences, and reading relevant literature to gain a better understanding of the skills and knowledge required.

4. Can I switch back to my original discipline if I don't like exploring other areas?

Yes, you can always return to your original discipline if you find that exploring other areas is not for you. However, it's important to keep in mind that your knowledge and skills may become outdated over time, so it may require some effort to catch up.

5. How can I balance staying in the same discipline and being versatile?

You can balance these by finding ways to incorporate different disciplines into your work, staying updated on new developments in other areas, and collaborating with colleagues from different disciplines. This can help you maintain expertise in your current discipline while also expanding your knowledge and skills.