Marijuana clinical studies

• Medical
  • Thread starter Alfi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studies
PDF from the Congressional Research Service on the medical use of marijuanahttp://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42398.pdfIn summary, the conversation was about the lack of available studies on the effects of marijuana on the human body and the search for sources for a quote about the endocannabinoid system. Suggestions were made to search PubMed and Granny Storm Crow's List for relevant articles and information. The conversation also touched on the classification of marijuana as a Schedule I drug and the decriminalization of its use in the United States.
Alfi
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=marijuana-research

After reading this article, I tried to find any studies.

I am stunned if there really are not any studies on this substance and it's affects to the human body.

Please post any links you may know of.

I see this quoted often, but I cannot find a direct link.
As the journal Nature Medicine put it in 2003, "the endocannabinoid system has an important role in nearly every paradigm of pain, in memory, in neurodegeneration and in inflammation."
Thank you for any help in tracking down a link to the source of this quote.

or examples like this.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3358713/?tool=pubmed

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
There are 1183 hits on Pubmed for marijuana and clinical trials.

Monique said:
There are 1183 hits on Pubmed for marijuana and clinical trials.

Thank you.

double post . sorry.

what was the source to the quote again? sorry I missed it.

It's a news article, but it doesn't cite the exact studies:
http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v9/n10/full/nm1003-1227.html

You can find studies by searching PubMed for the keywords pain, memory, neurodegeneration, or inflammation and marijuana. You can use the tag [tiab] to only search the title+abstract for the keywords (thus getting more relevant results).

It's a news article, but it doesn't cite the exact studies:

ah ... you see my problem.

What does cite the exact studies? without a $$$ commitment?
To read this story in full you will need to login or make a payment
As the journal Nature Medicine put it in 2003, "the endocannabinoid system has an important role in nearly every paradigm of pain, in memory, in neurodegeneration and in inflammation."Thank you for any help in tracking down a link to the source of this quote.

When I was studying astrocytes, I cam across this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22385967

Which indicates that astrocytes have a lot to do with working memory, but also that THC actually acts on CB1 receptors in astrocytes to have memory impairment effects, NOT neurons!

thank you also. but still no link to the quote.

Thank you.

I found that one. I was hoping to get around the $ This is very good information to help me in my investigations.
Thank you all. :)

Alfi said:
Thank you.

I found that one. I was hoping to get around the $

This is very good information to help me in my investigations.
Thank you all. :)
ooops, I missed that. Sorry.

As I mentioned, the news report is not informative as it doesn't list the citations. On PubMed there are freely accessible papers available, you can tick a box to only reveal those in your search.

Alfi said:
I see this quoted often, but I cannot find a direct link.

As the journal Nature Medicine put it in 2003, "the endocannabinoid system has an important role in nearly every paradigm of pain, in memory, in neurodegeneration and in inflammation."

Thank you for any help in tracking down a link to the source of this quote.

The quote you are asking about is a quote relating to the endocannabinoid system. Your research should begin with the search term, "endocannabinoid system" rather than "marijuana pain neurodegeneration inflammation".

See this, for example.

Granny Storm Crow's List is a fairly complete compilation of articles written about the medical use of cannabis. The January 2012 list is available at this link:

www.letfreedomgrow.com/cmu/GrannysListJan2012.pdf

Articles are grouped alphabetically by topic. It is an indispensable resource for anyone beginning research on medical marijuana.

1. What are the benefits of using marijuana for medical purposes?

Marijuana has been found to be effective in treating a variety of medical conditions, such as chronic pain, nausea and vomiting associated with cancer treatments, and muscle spasms caused by conditions like multiple sclerosis. It can also improve appetite and sleep in patients with certain illnesses. However, further research is needed to fully understand the potential benefits and risks of marijuana for medical use.

2. Is marijuana safe for medical use?

While marijuana has been shown to have medical benefits, it is not without potential risks. Some studies have found that long-term use of marijuana may be linked to cognitive impairment and respiratory problems. It may also interact with other medications. It is important for patients to consult with their doctor before using marijuana for medical purposes and to use it under medical supervision.

3. What research has been conducted on marijuana for medical use?

There have been numerous studies on the potential medical uses of marijuana, with a focus on its active compounds, such as THC and CBD. These studies have shown promising results for various conditions, but more research is needed to fully understand the effects and potential risks of using marijuana for medical purposes.

4. What are the current laws and regulations surrounding marijuana for medical use?

The laws and regulations regarding marijuana for medical use vary by country and state. In some places, medical marijuana is legal and can be obtained with a prescription from a doctor. In other places, it is still illegal. It is important for individuals to check their local laws and regulations before using marijuana for medical purposes.

5. What is the future of marijuana clinical studies?

As more states and countries legalize marijuana for medical use, there is a growing interest in conducting further research on its potential benefits and risks. There are ongoing clinical trials and studies being conducted to better understand the effects of marijuana on various medical conditions. The future of marijuana clinical studies is likely to continue to evolve as more research is conducted and new findings emerge.