Can You Solve This System of Equations?

• Thread starter naoufelabs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation discusses attempting to solve a system of equations with real number solutions. One participant suggests using clever guessing to find the solution, while another participant attempts to solve it algebraically using logarithms. However, their method is incorrect and they are unable to find the solution. The conversation ends with a thank you to all participants.
naoufelabs
Hi everybody,
Please I want to Solve the system:

3x-2y=19
y3-2x=19

x,y real number!

Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
I think clever guessing (and showing that there are not other solutions) is the quickest method. You can solve one of those equations for a single variable and put this into the other equation, but I don't think you cannot simply find solutions like that.

It looks like 3,3 is the only solution.

There is another solution near y=20.8216, x=13.1370.

Please I want the steps to find it, because I'm stumbled in the last steps as follow:
x*Ln(3)-y*Ln(2)=Ln(19)
3*Ln(y)-x*Ln(2)=Ln(19)

x*Ln(3)-y*Ln(2) - 3*Ln(y)-x*Ln(2) = 0
x*Ln(3)+x*Ln(2) = y*Ln(2)+3*Ln(y) {each one equals Ln(19)}
x*Ln(3)+x*Ln(2) = y*Ln(2)+3*Ln(y) = Ln(19)
x*Ln(6) = y*Ln(2)+3*Ln(y) = Ln(19)

x = ln(19)/ln(6)

Here I'm stumbled.

Thank you for your response.

There is no useful way to simplify ln(19)/ln(6). It is just some number - and it is wrong.

The first step does not work. ln(a-b) is not the same as ln(a) - ln(b).
The third step looks wrong, too (where you say "{each one equals Ln(19)}").

naoufelabs said:
3x-2y=19
y3-2x=19

x,y real number!
The first equation below is wrong, so everything below it is also invalid.

You apparently took the natural log of both sides, like so:
ln(3x - 2y) = ln(19)

Then you "distributed" the ln operation like this:
ln(3x) - ln(2y) = ln(19)
This is the step that is incorrect. There is no property of logs in which ln(A + B) = ln(A) + ln(B).

naoufelabs said:
Please I want the steps to find it, because I'm stumbled in the last steps as follow:
x*Ln(3)-y*Ln(2)=Ln(19)
3*Ln(y)-x*Ln(2)=Ln(19)

x*Ln(3)-y*Ln(2) - 3*Ln(y)-x*Ln(2) = 0
x*Ln(3)+x*Ln(2) = y*Ln(2)+3*Ln(y) {each one equals Ln(19)}
x*Ln(3)+x*Ln(2) = y*Ln(2)+3*Ln(y) = Ln(19)
x*Ln(6) = y*Ln(2)+3*Ln(y) = Ln(19)

x = ln(19)/ln(6)

Here I'm stumbled.

Thank you for your response.

Thank you all.

1. How do I solve a system of equations?

To solve a system of equations, you need to find the values of the variables that make both equations true. This can be done by using different methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing.

2. What is the difference between a one-variable and a two-variable system of equations?

A one-variable system of equations involves only one variable, while a two-variable system of equations involves two variables. This means that the first equation will have one variable and the second equation will have two variables.

3. Can a system of equations have more than two equations?

Yes, a system of equations can have any number of equations. The number of equations will depend on the number of variables and the complexity of the problem being solved.

4. What is the purpose of solving a system of equations?

The purpose of solving a system of equations is to find the intersection point or points where both equations are true. This can be useful in finding the values of variables in real-world problems or in understanding the relationship between different variables.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a system of equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a system of equations are not carefully copying down the equations, making calculation errors, and forgetting to check the solution in both equations. It is also important to keep track of the variables and their corresponding values throughout the solving process.