How can I fix a Fortran compiling error?

In summary, The person has successfully installed gcc and SciTE, but when running a code, an error is returned. They have tried setting the path environment variable for the Fortran compiler, but it does not seem to be working. They are looking for other methods to run Fortran with a good text editor, preferably a free one. The responder suggests checking if the path variable is set correctly and provides a link for instructions, but the person is still having trouble. They eventually figure it out by following a video on YouTube.
mechb05
I Just finished installing gcc and SciTE .

when i try to run a basic code ..the following error is returned(refer attached file)
many thanks

PS:I have saved fortarn.properties file in the installation folder of scyntilla

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 433
Technology news on Phys.org
Mark44 said:
It appears to me that Windows doesn't know how to find your compiler. You need to add the directory path for the Fortran compiler to the path environment variable. Here's a link that might help if you don't know how to do this: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm.

Hi Mark44
thanks for reply.

But the variable you are talking about is already set (refer the screenshot).

i think its something else.Can you suggest some other method of running fortran with good text editor as i am newbie...offcourse a freeone :P

Attachments

• syntilla.jpg
    syntilla.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 467
I'm not convinced that you have the path variable set correctly. The screen shot was pretty small, so was hard to read. The 2nd item looks like C:\gcc\libexec\gcc\686pc...

Does this actually refer to a directory on your computer? The two gcc parts in the path seem odd to me.

Mark44 said:
I'm not convinced that you have the path variable set correctly. The screen shot was pretty small, so was hard to read. The 2nd item looks like C:\gcc\libexec\gcc\686pc...

Does this actually refer to a directory on your computer? The two gcc parts in the path seem odd to me.

Thanks MARK44

I somehow got it working by following a video on YOUTUBE

What is a Fortran compiling error?

A Fortran compiling error is an error that occurs when a program written in the Fortran programming language fails to compile, or translate, into machine code that the computer can understand and execute. This can happen due to syntax errors, logical errors, or issues with the compiler itself.

What are the common causes of Fortran compiling errors?

Some common causes of Fortran compiling errors include syntax errors, such as missing or incorrect punctuation, logical errors, such as incorrect use of variables or control structures, and issues with the compiler, such as outdated or incompatible versions.

How can I fix a Fortran compiling error?

To fix a Fortran compiling error, you will need to carefully review your code for any syntax or logical errors and make the necessary corrections. You may also need to update your compiler or use a different compiler if the issue persists.

Why am I getting a "missing END statement" error when compiling my Fortran program?

This error typically occurs when there is a missing or incorrect END statement in your code. The END statement is used to indicate the end of a program, subroutine, or function in Fortran. Make sure all of your END statements are properly placed and match the corresponding program structures.

What resources are available for troubleshooting Fortran compiling errors?

There are a variety of resources available for troubleshooting Fortran compiling errors, including online forums, documentation and manuals for Fortran compilers, and experienced programmers who may be able to provide guidance and support. Additionally, some compilers may have built-in features for identifying and resolving common compiling errors.