Power required from forced induction?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the required power for forced induction using a provided equation. The person has done their calculations in a spreadsheet but is getting low results and is asking for help with identifying their mistake. They also mention a discrepancy of a factor of 1000 and provide a source for the equation. The original file was in .xls format but was changed to .xlsx for uploading.
James125
I'm trying to calculate the power required from forced induction with this equation;

W˙=m˙CpT1ηc⎡⎣(P2P1)(γ−1γ)−1⎤⎦

However I seem to be getting rather low results for work ~0.8W I have done my calculations in this spreadsheet. Any ideas where I've went wrong?

thanks

Note the file is .xls not .xlsx I had to change it to upload

Attachments

• Supercharger power req.xlsx
    14 KB · Views: 306
Engineering news on Phys.org
File doesn't open for me. Please try to repost. Others have posted .xlsx files before.

You can open the original file if you change the extension manually. Never to worry I have worked out how to save as xlsx. Missed out a factor of 2 first time round (forgot about it being 4 stroke). I still seem to be a factor of 1000 or so out. I have ~0.4w

Attachments

• Supercharger power req.xlsx
    9.9 KB · Views: 303
Do you have a source for the equation in the OP?

What is forced induction?

Forced induction is a method of increasing an engine's power output by forcing more air into the combustion chamber. This is typically achieved through the use of a supercharger or a turbocharger.

How does forced induction increase power?

Forced induction increases power by increasing the amount of air and fuel mixture that can be combusted in the engine. The additional air allows for more fuel to be burned, resulting in a more powerful explosion and increased power output.

What is the difference between a supercharger and a turbocharger?

A supercharger is driven by the engine through a belt and provides a constant boost of air, while a turbocharger is powered by the engine's exhaust gases and takes time to spool up, resulting in a slight delay in power delivery.

How does forced induction affect engine efficiency?

Forced induction can affect engine efficiency in both positive and negative ways. On one hand, it can increase power output, but on the other hand, it can also decrease fuel efficiency due to the additional stress on the engine and the need for more fuel to be burned.

Are there any downsides to using forced induction?

While forced induction can greatly increase an engine's power output, it also puts more stress on the engine, which can lead to increased wear and tear and potential reliability issues. Additionally, forced induction systems can be expensive to install and maintain.