Why do speakers emit buzzing noises when receiving a text?

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection between light and electromagnetism, specifically in regards to a phone receiving a text message while music is playing through speakers. It is determined that the phone is emitting a signal to the tower, and the speakers are picking up on this signal, causing the buzzing/beeping noises. The conversation also touches on the role of a transmitter in sending signals from a phone to the cellular tower.
BOAS
Hello,

I have a question or two that I suppose will include the nature of light and how that links to electromagnetism.

Sitting at my desk doing some work, listening to music over my speakers, I get a text. But I know I'm about to receive the text before my phone vibrates, because my speakers emit a series of buzzing/beeping noises.

So, what's going on here?

I have a few half baked ideas in my head, but it's been a while since I did electromagnetism in school and I don't start studying it at uni until january, so my memory is rather fuzzy on the subject + we never did look at how light is related to electricity and magnetism, though the name 'electromagnetic wave' certainly suggests that it is.

I remember the picture of an EM wave from my textbook that looked like a wave oscillating 'up' and 'down', with another (can't remember if it was phase shifted) moving in the 'left' and 'right' directions. I know the moving a wire through a magnetic field can induce a current, so is there a tiny magnetic field involved with the broadcast of my text message that can induce a current in my speakers?

Or perhaps I have it backwards and my phone is emitting some kind of 'receipt'.

Thanks for any light you can shed on the matter :)

BOAS

Science news on Phys.org
BOAS said:
Or perhaps I have it backwards and my phone is emitting some kind of 'receipt'.
That is the most likely explanation. Try moving your phone closer or farther away from the speakers and see what happens.

tfr000 said:
That is the most likely explanation. Try moving your phone closer or farther away from the speakers and see what happens.

I'll have to wait for someone to text me, but it doesn't look like i'll be moving from my desk much today.

Do you know what the bit of hardware is that is responsible for emitting signals from a phone?

BOAS said:
I'll have to wait for someone to text me, but it doesn't look like i'll be moving from my desk much today.

Do you know what the bit of hardware is that is responsible for emitting signals from a phone?

Yes the transmitter that is used to get your phone signal back to the cellular tower

Your phone and the cellular tower are in almost constant ( at least, very regular) communication
There is polling going on so that the cellular system knows where your phone is located in the network so that it knows which base station tower to send any comms to your phone
This is really critical when you are on the move, say in your car, heading across town. You may move through several base tower coverage areas

Edit: I have also heard that buzzing/burbling set of tones even as an incoming call is coming in

cheers
Dave

peakers emit buzzing noises when receiving a text because of electromagnetic interference. When your phone sends a text message, it emits a radio frequency signal. This signal can interfere with the electrical components in your speakers, causing them to vibrate and produce the buzzing noise. This is similar to when you place a phone next to a speaker and hear a buzzing sound when a call or text comes in.

The relationship between light and electromagnetism comes into play here because both are forms of electromagnetic radiation. Light is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye, while radio frequency signals are a type of electromagnetic radiation that is not visible to us. However, both can cause interference with electronic devices, including speakers.

In terms of the direction of the current, it is likely that the radio frequency signal from your phone is inducing a current in the wires of your speaker, rather than the other way around. This is because the signal from your phone is much stronger and can overpower any small magnetic fields produced by the speaker.

Overall, the buzzing noises from your speakers when receiving a text are a result of electromagnetic interference caused by the radio frequency signal from your phone. This is a common occurrence in today's world of wireless communication and electronic devices. I hope this explanation helps to shed some light on the matter for you.

What is interference on a speaker?

Interference on a speaker is when unwanted signals or disturbances affect the sound produced by the speaker. This can result in a distorted or unclear sound output.

How does interference on a speaker occur?

Interference on a speaker can occur due to a variety of reasons, including external factors such as radio waves, electrical interference, or physical obstructions, as well as internal factors such as damaged components or poor wiring.

What are the effects of interference on a speaker?

The effects of interference on a speaker can range from minor distortions to complete loss of sound. It can also result in a decrease in sound quality, making it difficult to hear or understand audio.

How can interference on a speaker be prevented?

There are several ways to prevent interference on a speaker, including using shielded cables, keeping electronic devices away from the speaker, and ensuring proper grounding and wiring. It is also important to regularly maintain and inspect the speaker for any damage.

Can interference on a speaker be fixed?

In most cases, interference on a speaker can be fixed by identifying and addressing the root cause of the interference. This may involve replacing damaged components, repositioning the speaker, or using filters or shielding to block unwanted signals.