Liquid Slosh and Vehicle Stability

In summary, the conversation revolved around the invention of a device that eliminates liquid slosh in partially filled containers and allows for center of gravity control. The person was seeking input on whether there is a market for such a product and expressed awareness of existing techniques such as baffles, sponges, and diaphragms. They also mentioned having conducted a professional patent search and potentially having something new. Another participant in the conversation shared information about slosh research and reduction techniques, as well as the challenges of slosh in rocket and spacecraft technology. The conversation also touched on the issue of prior art and patents in the field of rocketry. Ultimately, the person expressed optimism about the novelty of their invention and shared a patent granted to Lockheed Martin for slo
erickxxx
Hi,
I'm working on an invention that eliminates liquid slosh in partially filled liquid containers and allows for center of gravity control. I'm wondering if there is a market for such an apparatus where elimination of all slosh is needed.

I am aware of baffles, sponges, and diaphragms. A professional patent search was done and it seems that i may have something new.

I would appreciate your contributions :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Slosh research isn't terribly novel. I can't speak for reduction, but I do have something you could look into to investigate further. A team from the physics department of my alma mater did some research a few years ago with NASA characterizing propellent slosh in Orion service module propellent tanks.

http://www.carthage.edu/physics/opportunities/space-sciences/2010/index.php

“We built a scale model of one of these service module tanks to assess its behavior under microgravity when it’s at various levels of propellant. The fuel in microgravity sloshes around in strange ways that can be destabilizing to the spacecraft . We’ve lost spacecraft due to propellant slosh.”

Here's a thesis written on it last year that should have significantly more information. I haven't read through it, but it may make reference to slosh reduction techniques.

http://dspace.carthage.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/123456789/301/Bakkum_thesis_final.pdf?sequence=1

Last edited by a moderator:
aroc91 said:
Slosh research isn't terribly novel. I can't speak for reduction, but I do have something you could look into to investigate further. A team from the physics department of my alma mater did some research a few years ago with NASA characterizing propellent slosh in Orion service module propellent tanks.

http://www.carthage.edu/physics/opportunities/space-sciences/2010/index.php

Here's a thesis written on it last year that should have significantly more information. I haven't read through it, but it may make reference to slosh reduction techniques.

http://dspace.carthage.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/123456789/301/Bakkum_thesis_final.pdf?sequence=1

Thank you. That was really helpful :)

Last edited by a moderator:
erickxxx, if you didn't already know about slosh in rockets, I suspect your invention may not be applicable to that field. Spacecraft slosh has been plaguing rocket and spacecraft manufacturers from the earliest days of launching things into space. It's a rather different world than the typical slosh problem. Launch is a high g event with extreme vibration and some rather noxious or extremely cold chemicals. After launch, when the vehicle stops thrusting, the remaining liquid turns into an other worldly foam that comes crashing down when thrust is applied.

If your invention does have direct applicability to rocketry, someone may well have already come up with that very idea and your patent lawyer would not have found it. A lot of ideas in the realm of rocketry is not patentable thanks to U.S. Code 35 § 181, "Secrecy of certain inventions and withholding of patent."

D H said:
erickxxx, if you didn't already know about slosh in rockets, I suspect your invention may not be applicable to that field. Spacecraft slosh has been plaguing rocket and spacecraft manufacturers from the earliest days of launching things into space. It's a rather different world than the typical slosh problem. Launch is a high g event with extreme vibration and some rather noxious or extremely cold chemicals. After launch, when the vehicle stops thrusting, the remaining liquid turns into an other worldly foam that comes crashing down when thrust is applied.

If your invention does have direct applicability to rocketry, someone may well have already come up with that very idea and your patent lawyer would not have found it. A lot of ideas in the realm of rocketry is not patentable thanks to U.S. Code 35 § 181, "Secrecy of certain inventions and withholding of patent."

It can definitely be applied to rocketry. The risk of prior art is always present, I have found patents or publications about my previous ideas, but for this concept I've been actively searching for 6 months and haven't found anything like it, so I'm optimistic about its novelty.

Interesting that you mentioned the U.S. Code 35 § 181, because a slosh dampening utility patent for launch rockets has been granted to Lockheed Martin:
http://www.google.com/patents/US6283412

1. What is liquid slosh and how does it affect vehicle stability?

Liquid slosh refers to the movement of fluid inside a container, such as a fuel tank, as the vehicle is in motion. This movement can cause a shift in the vehicle's center of gravity, which can impact its stability and handling.

2. What factors contribute to liquid slosh in a vehicle?

The amount and type of liquid in the tank, the shape and size of the tank, and the speed and direction of the vehicle all play a role in the level of liquid slosh. Additionally, the design and location of the tank within the vehicle can also affect the amount of sloshing.

3. Can liquid sloshing have a significant impact on vehicle safety?

Yes, liquid sloshing can have a significant impact on vehicle safety, especially in emergency situations or during high-speed maneuvers. It can cause the vehicle to become unstable, leading to loss of control and potential accidents.

4. How do engineers account for liquid slosh in vehicle design?

Engineers use computer simulations and physical tests to study the effects of liquid slosh on vehicle stability. They also consider factors such as tank design, placement, and size to minimize the impact of sloshing on the vehicle's overall performance.

5. Are there any measures that can be taken to reduce the effects of liquid slosh on vehicle stability?

Yes, some measures can be taken to reduce the effects of liquid slosh on vehicle stability. These include using baffles or partitions inside the tank to restrict the movement of the liquid, designing the tank to have a lower center of gravity, and implementing electronic stability control systems to help counteract the effects of sloshing.