Determination of logarithm (complex)

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of a complex integral involving a polynomial p(z) and a closed path C containing all the zeroes of p(z) in its interior. The solution involves using the residue theorem and an algebraic identity involving the logarithm of p(z). However, there is a question about the determination of the logarithm on C and its necessity for proving the identity.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The question is this:

Consider p(z) a polynomial and C a closed path containing all the zeroes of p in its interior. Compute

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_C z\frac{p'(z)}{p(z)}dz[/tex]

The solution given by the manual starts by saying that

[tex]\frac{p'(z)}{p(z)}=(log(p(z)))'[/tex].

But there is no determination of log(p(z)) on C. Isn't that a problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine it would depend on what you do next.

Next we differentiate log(p(z)), it gives

[tex]z\frac{p'(z)}{p(z)} = \sum_{j=1}^k \frac{zn_j}{z-zj}[/tex]

where zj are the zeros of p(z) and nj their relative order of multiplicity.

Then we use the residue theorem on the integral ansd use the fact that each zj is a simple pole for [itex]\sum_{j=1}^k \frac{zn_j}{z-z_j}[/itex] such that

[tex]\sum_{j=1}^k Res(z\frac{p'(z)}{p(z)},z_j) = \sum_{j=1}^k \lim_{z\rightarrow z_j}(z-z_j)\frac{zn_j}{z-z_j} = \sum_{j=1}^k z_jn_j[/tex]

to get the result.

Last edited:
So do you really need to specify a branch of log on the entire curve? You're only using it to prove an algebraic identity.

I hear you!

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that calculates the power to which a base number must be raised to result in a given number. It is represented as log(base)number. For example, log(2)8 = 3, because 2 to the power of 3 is equal to 8.

What is a complex logarithm?

A complex logarithm is a logarithm that involves complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. In the case of complex logarithms, the base and the number being raised to a power are both complex numbers.

How is the logarithm of a complex number calculated?

The logarithm of a complex number is calculated using the formula log(base)e(z) = ln|z| + i*arg(z), where z is the complex number and arg(z) is the argument (or angle) of the complex number.

Why is the natural logarithm used for complex numbers?

The natural logarithm (ln) is used for complex numbers because it has a unique property that makes it easier to work with complex numbers. Specifically, the natural logarithm of a complex number is equal to the magnitude of the complex number plus the imaginary unit multiplied by the angle of the complex number (i.e. ln|z| + i*arg(z)). This simplifies the calculation and representation of complex logarithms.

What are some applications of complex logarithms?

Complex logarithms have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are commonly used in signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics. They are also useful for solving equations involving complex numbers and for modeling exponential growth in complex systems.