Medical physics (medical imaging) schools

In summary, the original poster is looking for suggestions on the best graduate schools for medical bio physics, specifically in the field of medical imaging. The CAMPEP website and AAPM website have lists of accredited and non-accredited programs. The choice of school will depend on the individual's interests and focus, whether it be on research or clinical work in diagnostic or therapy. There are also various conferences on the topic, such as the Medical Innovations Conference organized by Materialise. There is also a discussion about the importance of attending a CAMPEP-accredited program in order to be eligible for medical physics certification exams. Some suggested schools for medical imaging research include Stanford, Georgia Tech, UW-Madison, and UT MD Anderson.
nik_to
Hey people,
I'm currently finished junior, and now looking for grad schools in medbio physics (preferably medical imaging, i.e. MR, X-ray). Can anyone suggest the best schools for this to apply? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The CAMPEP website has a list of accredited medical physics http://www.campep.org/campeplstgrad.html [Broken] and http://www.campep.org/campeplstres.html [Broken] programs. There is a list of non-accredited programs over at the AAPM website.

Where you go will depend on your areas of interest, and if your focus leans more towards research or clinical, diagnostic or therapy.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are different conferences on this topic. For example, http://www.materialise.com/" [Broken] organized
http://www.materialise.com/materialise/view/en/1474263-Materialise+holds+6th+edition+of+Medical+Innovations+Conference+in+Vienna%2C+Austria.html" [Broken]

volume render said:
There are different conferences on this topic. For example, http://www.materialise.com/" [Broken] organized
http://www.materialise.com/materialise/view/en/1474263-Materialise+holds+6th+edition+of+Medical+Innovations+Conference+in+Vienna%2C+Austria.html" [Broken]

The OP made a single post 2 years ago, I don't think he's coming back.

In fact, it happens. People tend to return to the places thay have once visited. F.i., every criminal returns to the place of crime. Months or years - it sometimes comes to a really long time, but, eventually, it doesn't matter.

nik_to said:
Hey people,
I'm currently finished junior, and now looking for grad schools in medbio physics (preferably medical imaging, i.e. MR, X-ray). Can anyone suggest the best schools for this to apply? Thanks!

I would suggest looking at the CAMPEP-accredited schools. In order to obtain the certification the programs have to provide a set of didactic courses that will give you adequate preparation for medical physics certification exams (ABR, CCPM etc.) as well as practical experience - in addition to a research-based degree. Further, there is some talk of only allowing students from CAMPEP-accredited programs to write the professional exams (although given the demand for medical physicists right now, I'd be surprised if that were implemented in the near future).

Choppy said:
Further, there is some talk of only allowing students from CAMPEP-accredited programs to write the professional exams (although given the demand for medical physicists right now, I'd be surprised if that were implemented in the near future).

It is not some talk. It's been determined that to be eligible to write board test therefore be certified, one must be associated with CAMPEP programs by 2012 (for grad) and by 2014 (for res).

http://www.theabr.org/Policy_Pri_CAMPEP.htm [Broken]

I suspect this will indeed create more demand for board certified medical physicist when it seems we're already running short of them. But it also protects the patients from having illy prepared physicist to prepare their therapy plan.

To OP:

If you're mainly interested in medical imaging then you have many options in terms of graduate school and its program. For example, Stanford EE program has excellent research program in MRI and CT. Or GIT has bioengineering program that does research in many different imaging modalities including MR, CT. Of course, there's UW-Madison's medical physics program, which in my personal belief, the best out there for research and development. For more clinically oriented research program, I also suggest UT MD Anderson.

1. What is medical physics (medical imaging) and what do students study in this field?

Medical physics (medical imaging) is a branch of physics that applies principles and techniques of physics to the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Students in this field study topics such as radiation biology, radiological imaging, radiation therapy, and medical imaging instrumentation.

2. What are some common career paths for graduates of medical physics (medical imaging) schools?

Graduates of medical physics (medical imaging) schools can pursue careers in various fields, including diagnostic imaging, radiation therapy, nuclear medicine, and medical device development. They may also work in research and development, academia, or in medical physics consulting.

3. What are the admission requirements for medical physics (medical imaging) schools?

Admission requirements vary by school, but most programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in physics, engineering, or a related field. Some schools may also require standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Previous coursework in biology, chemistry, and mathematics is also beneficial.

4. What are some top medical physics (medical imaging) schools?

Some top medical physics (medical imaging) schools include the University of California, San Francisco, the University of Pennsylvania, and Duke University. Other highly ranked programs include the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and the University of Chicago.

5. What are some key skills that students can gain from studying medical physics (medical imaging)?

Studying medical physics (medical imaging) can help students develop skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis. They also gain technical skills in operating medical imaging equipment and interpreting images. Additionally, students can develop strong communication and teamwork skills, which are essential for working in the healthcare field.