Calculating Drop Time to Reach 90 km/h: Confirm/Deny!

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the conversation discusses the time it takes for an object to reach a velocity of 90 km/h when dropped with an initial velocity of 0. Using various equations, it is determined that the time is approximately 2.26 seconds assuming no air resistance and an acceleration of 9.81 m/s^2. The conversation also addresses an incorrect equation and the importance of units matching in an equation.
KingNothing
Can anyone confirm/deny that if an object is dropped (init. velocity=0) that it will take about 2.26 seconds to reach 90 km/h?

[tex]S=\frac{D}{T}[/tex]
[tex]A=\frac{V_f-V_i}{T_f-T_i}[/tex]
[tex]D=\frac{1}{2}gT^2[/tex]
[tex]V_f^2=V_i^2+2a(X_f-X_i)[/tex]
[tex]\overline{V}=\frac{V_f+V_i}{2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming no air resistance and an acceleration of 9.81 m/s^2, I get 2.55 seconds.

Or if the object falls for 2.26 seconds, it will have a velocity of 80 Km/hr.

Last edited:
Can you go through it for me? It's really confusing me as to why I keep getting what I do.

Time = Velocity/acceleration

The units I used were Seconds, m/s, m/s^2

I converted your value of 90 km/hr to m/s. Divide by 3.6 to convert km/hr to m/s. 90 km/hr = 25 m/s

I simply plugged in the values into the above formula.

T = 25 /9.81 = 2.55 seconds.

Your answer wans't really that far off. What values did you use?

Just to start off, we have to assume gravity to be 9.8 in our physics class, but I don't think that can attribute to the difference. Anyhoo, what is wrong with using:

[tex]V_f = V_i + \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex]
If [tex]V_f[/tex]=25 and [tex]\frac{1}{2}a[/tex]=4.9 and [tex]V_i[/tex]=0, then what should I come out with, or is this the wrong equation?

Last edited:
It's the wrong equation. [itex] 1/2 a t^2[/itex] is an expression of distance traveled under a constant acceleration for a given length of time.

Since [itex]V_i=0[/itex], your equation simplifies to [itex]V_f = 1/2 a t^2[/itex] which is not correct. [itex]D = 1/2 a t^2[/itex] when intial distance and velocity equal 0. Otherwise,

[tex]D = D_i+V_i t + \frac{a t^2}{2}[/tex]

the units on one side of the equation have to match the units on the other side. That's a good way to check for errors in an equation.

[tex] V_f = V_i + a t [/tex]

Last edited:

1. How do I know if my calculation is correct?

One way to check if your calculation is correct is to double check your work by performing the calculation again. Another way is to use a calculator or computer program to verify the result. You can also ask a colleague or supervisor to review your calculation.

2. What should I do if I find an error in my calculation?

If you find an error in your calculation, carefully review your work to identify where the mistake occurred. Once you have identified the error, correct it and recheck your calculation to ensure the correct result. It is also important to make a note of the mistake and how it was corrected for future reference.

3. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when checking a calculation?

Yes, there are some common mistakes to watch out for when checking a calculation. These include entering numbers or operators incorrectly, forgetting to carry over numbers when doing multi-digit calculations, and making a mistake in the order of operations. It is important to be meticulous and double check your work to catch these errors.

4. Is it necessary to show my work when checking a calculation?

Yes, it is important to show your work when checking a calculation. This allows others to follow your thought process and identify any mistakes that may have been made. It also serves as a record for future reference in case any errors are found.

5. How many times should I check my calculation?

It is best to check your calculation multiple times to ensure accuracy. You can also ask someone else to review your work for an additional perspective. It is important to be thorough and catch any mistakes before using the calculation for any important decisions or experiments.