Test Your Norwegian Knowledge: Who Are They?

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quiz
In summary, Caspar Wessel was a famous Danish astronomer who contributed to the development of the heliocentric model of the solar system.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Here is a quiz to test PF's knowledge about Norway and famous Norwegians! :smile:

1) At the age of 12, his daddy Halfdan the Black ridiculed him for being a mere "boy" in front of his men. As revenge, this precocious youngster plotted with a Finn well versed in magic to melt the ice on the Randsfjord, so that the sledge carrying his father went through, and Halfdan drowned.

He is generally known as the first king of Norway.

2) About this son of the answer in 1), the skalds were in difficulty to find anything positive to say, so they praised his bravery in battle and his ability to consume large quantities of beer. After a few years reigning in Norway, he was thrown out, became Earl of Northumbria until the Northumbrians didn't want him anymore and killed him. His wife's name was Gunhild.

3) The father of this guy killed a man in Norway, and had to flee to Iceland to escape justice, but when he (the father) repeated his act, he ran off to Greenland were nobody else wanted to be in the first place.
When he (still the father) heard that a new land had been discovered in the West, he equipped a few ships to investigate, but tripped and fell and broke his leg just before the journey should begin.

So it is his son who has been credited to have discovered a large land mass..who?

4) The first to describe complex numbers in terms of a plane (beat Argand with 9 years).

5) Discovered the infectious agent behind leprosy

6) Is often called the "father of meteorology" (at least in Norway)

7) Politician, whose name has become a synonym for "traitor".

8) 80's pop group, with hits like "Take on me", "Cry Wolf"

9) Current prime minister

10) Wrote plays like "A Doll's House", "The Wild Duck"

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
#7...at the tip of my tongue...world war II history class

EDIT: Quisling GOT IT!

Last edited:
8) Ah hah. Not sure of the spelling.

arildno said:
At the age of 12, his daddy Halfdan the Black ridiculed him for being a mere "boy" in front of his men.
Give me a hint. How old was the boy?

:rofl:
The boy was 12, Halfdan was in his 30's.

Those were hard Arildno. Don't know more than half of them even though I'm your neighbour...

I know the first two I think coming from northumbria as part of my local history.

:!) 12) Ibsen... I love Enemy of the People .:!)

1) King Harald I

8) a-ha

10char

3) Erik the Red

9) Stoltenberg (without googling :))

4) Wasn't that Descartes, but he's French ? I always thought he was the first to use "i" and the imaginary Y-axis...

marlon

5) Hansen, can't remember the rest of his name. BTW leprosy's true agent was later discovered to be a plasmid. Mycobacterium leprae, which Hansen identified as the agent, is in fact the vector - an important find nonetheless, since Mycobacteria are acid fast and require specific staining procedures.

8) Morten Harket - Vocals
Magne Furuholmen - Keyboards
Paul Waaktaar-Savoy - Guitars

:biggrin:

The following has been answered correct, or partially correct:
1) Harald (he was not called "the first", Evo!). By-name, please.
3) Erik the Red was the father. I wanted his son's name
5) Armauer Hansen
7) Vidkun Quisling
8) A-ha
9) Jens Stoltenberg.
10) Henrik Ibsen

So, 2), 3), 4) and 6) remains

2) Erik Bloodaxe

3) Leif Erikson

dextercioby said:
6. Vilhelm Bjerknes

Daniel.

Kurdt said:
2) Erik Bloodaxe

3) Leif Erikson

Correct!
Only 4) remains..
And the by-name of Harald, first king of Norway on 1)

Okay, here's the answer to 4):

Caspar Wessel.
Here's a link on him:
http://www.gap-system.org/~history/Biographies/Wessel.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Well. Get your famous Swedes on a quiz then! :smile:

arildno said:
Well. Get your famous Swedes on a quiz then! :smile:
Hmm, maybe I should. Actually I made a Sweden quiz long time ago, but I suppose it disappeared in some forum upgrade...

1. What is "Test Your Norwegian Knowledge: Who Are They?"

"Test Your Norwegian Knowledge: Who Are They?" is a quiz game designed to test your knowledge of notable Norwegian figures from different fields, such as politics, literature, music, and sports.

2. How do I play "Test Your Norwegian Knowledge: Who Are They?"

To play "Test Your Norwegian Knowledge: Who Are They?", simply click on the start button and a series of questions will appear. Choose the correct answer from the multiple-choice options and click on "Next" to move on to the next question. At the end of the game, you will receive a score based on the number of correct answers.

3. What is the purpose of "Test Your Norwegian Knowledge: Who Are They?"

The purpose of "Test Your Norwegian Knowledge: Who Are They?" is to educate and challenge players about notable Norwegian figures while also testing their knowledge and memory. It can also be a fun way to learn more about Norwegian culture and history.

4. Can I play "Test Your Norwegian Knowledge: Who Are They?" on my mobile device?

Yes, "Test Your Norwegian Knowledge: Who Are They?" is available to play on both desktop and mobile devices. Simply visit the website and click on the start button to begin playing.

5. Are there different levels of difficulty in "Test Your Norwegian Knowledge: Who Are They?"

Yes, "Test Your Norwegian Knowledge: Who Are They?" has three levels of difficulty - easy, medium, and hard. The questions and answers will become more challenging as you progress to higher levels, making the game suitable for players of all knowledge levels.