Find the threshold frequency for a calcium

In summary, a threshold frequency for a calcium is the minimum frequency of light needed to remove electrons from the surface of the metal. This frequency is determined through experiments where the intensity of light is varied and is significant in understanding the behavior of electrons in atoms and the photoelectric effect. It cannot be changed as it is a characteristic of the element.
crimsondarkn

Homework Statement

This is a pretty simple problem... Yet I got the wrong answer.. Hmm...

"Find the threshold frequency for a calcium surface whose work function is 3.33eV"

W=3.33eV = 3.33eV * 1.6x10^-19 J = 5.33x10^19 J
f = ?
h=6.63x10^-34 J*S

Homework Equations

f=W/h

The Attempt at a Solution

f=(3.33eV)(1.6x10^-19 J) / (6.63x10^-34 J*S) = 8.04x10^14 Hz <- My answerThe answer in book is 5.02 x10^14 Hz.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
turns out the book was wrong... my answer was right. yah...

It seems like you have the correct formula and conversion factors, but you may have made a mistake in your calculation. Your answer of 8.04x10^14 Hz is much higher than the book's answer of 5.02x10^14 Hz. Double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct values for the constants. It's always a good idea to double check your work to catch any mistakes. If you're still unsure, you may want to consult a classmate or your instructor for clarification.

1. What is a threshold frequency for a calcium?

A threshold frequency for a calcium is the minimum frequency of light needed to remove electrons from the surface of a calcium metal. This frequency is specific to each element and is a key factor in understanding the behavior of electrons in atoms.

2. How is the threshold frequency for a calcium determined?

The threshold frequency for a calcium is determined through experiments where the intensity of light is varied at different frequencies. The frequency at which electrons are just barely ejected from the surface of the calcium is recorded as the threshold frequency.

3. What is the significance of the threshold frequency for a calcium?

The threshold frequency for a calcium is significant because it provides information about the energy levels of electrons in a calcium atom. It also helps determine the work function of the metal, which is the minimum energy needed to remove an electron from the surface.

4. How does the threshold frequency for a calcium affect the photoelectric effect?

The threshold frequency for a calcium affects the photoelectric effect by determining whether or not electrons will be ejected from the metal surface when exposed to light. If the frequency of the light is below the threshold frequency, no electrons will be emitted.

5. Can the threshold frequency for a calcium be changed?

No, the threshold frequency for a calcium is a characteristic of the element and cannot be changed. It is determined by the energy levels of the electrons and the work function of the metal, which are both inherent properties of calcium.