HP 50g - Quick, simple question

• Calculators
  • Thread starter DieCommie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone's HP 50g calculator and an unfamiliar icon that has appeared on the screen. Another person suggests that it may indicate low battery and the issue is resolved. The conversation then shifts to the difficulty of getting the calculator to display an answer in surd/irrational form, and a solution is provided involving the use of the RSHIFT key.
DieCommie
Hello,

I have the HP 50g and I like it. Recently an icon has been light up on top and I don't know what it means. Its a dot with 2 waves on each side. It almost looks like an icon for some sort of IR emission.

Its in between the alpha and the hourglass. I haven't noticed it on before recently. What does it mean?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Batteries empty!

Oh ****! Thanks alot!

I have the HP 50g. I can not get my answer in sq root ie absolute value of vector whose answer is sq root 10 shows the answer as a decimal. I have tried different mode settings with no luck. How can I get the answer displayed as a surd/irrational
thankyou

Push and hold down the RSHIFT key (the orange one), then press enter. You should see the tilde (~) turn into an equals mark (=). This will make it so that all of your future entries will be displayed in symbolic form.

Last edited:

1. What is the HP 50g calculator?

The HP 50g is a scientific graphing calculator designed for advanced mathematical and scientific calculations. It is manufactured by Hewlett-Packard and has been around since 2006.

2. What are the main features of the HP 50g calculator?

The HP 50g has a large screen with high resolution, a built-in computer algebra system, extensive programming capabilities, and a large library of pre-installed functions. It also has a large memory capacity and supports both RPN and algebraic entry modes.

3. How do I perform basic calculations on the HP 50g?

To perform basic calculations on the HP 50g, simply enter the numbers and operations using the keypad and press Enter to get the result. You can also use the built-in functions and operators for more complex calculations.

4. Can I use the HP 50g for graphing and plotting?

Yes, the HP 50g has a built-in graphing function that allows you to plot functions, parametric equations, and polar equations. It also has a built-in plot library and the ability to plot multiple functions at once.

5. Is the HP 50g suitable for college-level math and science courses?

Yes, the HP 50g is a powerful calculator that is commonly used in college-level math and science courses. It has advanced features and functions that make it suitable for a wide range of calculations and equations.