Nuclear Engineering - International Students

In summary: And there are always a few people who can help with that. But yeah, I'd say it's a pretty good school.
wilsonchan
Hi every one!

I got a question about studying nuclear engineering. Will international students encounter any difficulties when studying NE in US due to its sensitive nature? I am quite interested in NE, but I am afraid that there would be a lot of restrictions for international students in NE. Do you have any idea about this? Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't see why there should be, after all, some students from the US may go on to work in other countries. There isn't (or I haven't run across) any material that is really sensitive, most of what I've learned can be found in a text avaliable anywhere in the world..

If you go to work for a "non-friendly" country to develop nuclear weapons after graduation, then the government will already know who you are and what you know.

Yes, but I haven't heard that anyone goes into that much detail teaching students how to build bombs. Besides, the hard part is aquiring the materials needed for a bomb, not designing one.

wilsonchan said:
Hi every one!

I got a question about studying nuclear engineering. Will international students encounter any difficulties when studying NE in US due to its sensitive nature? I am quite interested in NE, but I am afraid that there would be a lot of restrictions for international students in NE. Do you have any idea about this? Thank you!
No. As a matter of fact, the NE department where I studied had an active program of recruiting foreign students and encouraging US students to study at least one year abroad. We had some connections with foreign universities.

Most likely one would not be studying anything 'sensitive' in university.

I encounter quite a few foreign students in NE programs in the US.

how about finding NE related jobs in US?

wilsonchan said:
how about finding NE related jobs in US?
Not a problem. There is a shortage of qualified and experience NE's. One should have at least an MS degree.

The suppliers of the technology and the utilities are looking for skilled engineers.

The univeristy I am at will gladly accept international students. We have a guy from Russia and a couple folks from China right now. We had a guy who was a citizen of Peru last year. I am good friends with the guy from Peru, and I talk to the girl from China a lot as well as the Russian guy - it appears they don't have too much extra trouble with their studies. There are some things that came up though. ORNL wouldn't give the Russian guy a license to use MCNP5. Dont know how he completed those labs. My buddy from Peru couldn't get an internship anywhere because he wasnt a citizen. He ended up going to grad school, last I heard he was planning to apply to the IAEA. I have been interning at a national lab, and I never see foreign nationals over in the NE areas (they have special badges), and limited areas are off limits to them. The only place I have ever seen them working is in the molecular science or bio areas. Dont take it as gospel, this is just what I have observed on my own. We had a tour of Areva, and they told one of the Chineese students that they will hire international students, so I guess jobs are out there. It would seem that it all depends on what exactly you want to do. Then again, I am still about 3 months away from my B.S. so you can take it with a grain of salt.

theCandyman said:
Yes, but I haven't heard that anyone goes into that much detail teaching students how to build bombs. Besides, the hard part is aquiring the materials needed for a bomb, not designing one.
Candyman,

I would definitely NOT say that! There's a LOT to the design of a nuclear weapon that
hasn't been made public; and they don't teach it in graduate school.

Consider the recent "fizzle" by North Korea. According to the news, NK had all the material
they needed to make a bomb. However, their design didn't work well. If you caught the recent
edition fo Modern Marvels on the History Channel about "Weapons of Mass Destruction";
Lawrence Livermore's head of nuclear weapons design said that North Korea "screwed up".

http://www.tv.com/modern-marvels/weapons-of-mass-destruction/episode/984119/summary.html

The material is one hard part; but just because you have the material is no guarantee that the weapon will work.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Last edited:
Hey Guys, I am going to join Oregon State University for BS in nuclear Engineering. Can anyone give some insight on this university? This is the best university i can get into at the moment.

Where r u studying techfrr, i mean the university?

Actually there are a few problems with international students, but those are pretty minor. For example, if you need to get some codes from RSICC for performing calculations it may be problematic, but your instructors should be aware of this hurdle.

1. What is nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the application of nuclear energy in various fields such as power generation, medical imaging, and space exploration. It involves the study of nuclear reactions, radiation, and the design and maintenance of nuclear reactors.

2. Why is nuclear engineering an important field of study?

Nuclear engineering is important because it provides a reliable and sustainable source of energy, reduces carbon emissions, and has a wide range of applications in medicine, industry, and research. It also has the potential to meet the increasing global demand for energy in the future.

3. Can international students study nuclear engineering?

Yes, international students can study nuclear engineering in many countries around the world. However, it is important to check the specific requirements and regulations of the country or university where you wish to study.

4. What are the career opportunities for international students with a degree in nuclear engineering?

International students with a degree in nuclear engineering can pursue careers in various fields such as nuclear power, research and development, nuclear medicine, and nuclear waste management. They can also work in industries such as aerospace, defense, and energy consulting.

5. Is nuclear engineering a safe field of study for international students?

Yes, nuclear engineering is a safe field of study for international students. Universities and institutions that offer nuclear engineering programs have strict safety protocols and training programs to ensure the safety of their students. Additionally, nuclear engineers are trained to prioritize safety in all aspects of their work.