Concordia University / Montreal

• Schools
  • Thread starter peddler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary: I'm a physics undergraduate at Concordia. I started last fall after finishing a degree in computer eng. in lebanon. I wanted to go to mcgill, and i got refused too (i only had 3.1-3.2 gpa since i wasn't that interested in eng.). The physics program here (so far) is satisfactory to me. There are some really good teachers, and the rest is well ok but not like what i had to go through with some teachers back in my eng. days. Plus, if you really like the material and the science, there are plenty of opportunities to get extra help from them. I'm sure some teacher(s), if he/they find you interested
peddler
Howdy,

I'm a student at Concordia University and have been chipping away at the various prerequisites (ie: chemistry, biology, math) that are required to take Physics there. I originally went to this school for Journalism, but have since changed my direction. It might sound a little crazy to some of you, but i didn't do math in high school. I couldn't stand it. But i took a math class at concordia and absolutely fell in love with it. So now I'm doing what I've always wanted to do...study science...and am as happy as a pig in sh*t.

I really want to go to Mcgill for Physics, but due to some strange events in my life, my GPA kinda sucks right now, so I'm stuck here. I read in another post that in the Physics world it doesn't really matter where you go (excluding the M.I.T.'s of the world)...it only matters what you know at the end of it.

Can anyone way in on that comment? Does anyone know anything about Physics at Concordia? does anyone know anyone that is doing a physics undergrad there?

The major bonus I can see to staying at this school is that since there are very few physics undergrad students...the second and third year classes would be as small as just two or three students. Which is pretty damn fantastic.

Personally I would rather go to a mediocre school and learn in a tiny group then go to a fantastic school and just be a face in the crowd. But at the same time...I don't want to lose out on an opportunity just because the guy next to me went to a "better" school.

I would really appreciate any insight you guys might have.

Thanks.

Oh, by the way...i should point out that i don't have any real ambitions to getting a PHD or doing research at this point (although i do intend to get a master's). I'm taking it because it's the science that has always held a fascination with me and I couldn't imagine taking anything else. I guess you could say that I'm doing it for myself...and I'm going to figure the rest out later.

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry about the double post there...i hate when people do that too.

I talked to a recruiter from Concordia when I was attending CEGEP. I told her that I was unsure about going into math or physics, and I was wondering whether Concordia has a joint math-physics program. She replied, "We don't have a physics department." So I went to McGill.

I hope they changed that since then.

Last edited:
Dragonfall said:
I talked to a recruiter from Concordia when I was attending CEGEP. I told her that I was unsure about going into math or physics, and I was wondering whether Concordia has a joint math-physics program. She replied, "We don't have a physics department." So I went to McGill.

I hope they changed that since then.

I know that Concordia had a physics department 15 years ago, and that it has a http://physics.concordia.ca/" now. It seems either that you misinterpreted what the recruiter said, or that the recruiter was ignorant about her own school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well then, the recruiter must have been mistaken.

u can always do the first year or two at a school and then if your grades are sufficient enough transfer to the school of your choice(if you get in and have their requirements) for 2nd or 3rd year.

Ya...that's sort of what i was planning on doing if I wasn't satisfied with Concordia. I was kind of hoping to attract the attention of someone that can give me the inside scoop on concordia. A post or present student perspective on that school.

I'm a physics undergrad at concordia. I started last fall after finishing a degree in computer eng. in lebanon. I wanted to go to mcgill, and i got refused too (i only had 3.1-3.2 gpa since i wasn't that interested in eng.). The physics program here (so far) is satisfactory to me. There are some really good teachers, and the rest is well ok but not like what i had to go through with some teachers back in my eng. days. Plus, if you really like the material and the science, there are http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/index.htm" of material onl the internet, lots of problem that you can solve and get you interested. And I'm sure some teacher(s), if he/they find you interested, will give you some sort of extra guidance. All you have to do is get good grades, and then apply to any other MS program wherever you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

What programs does Concordia University offer?

Concordia University offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs in fields such as arts and science, business, engineering, and fine arts. They also have professional programs in fields like education, law, and social work.

How many students attend Concordia University?

As of 2021, Concordia University has a student population of approximately 50,000.

Is Concordia University a public or private university?

Concordia University is a public university, meaning it is funded by the government and is open to all students.

Does Concordia University have a campus in Montreal?

Yes, Concordia University has two campuses in Montreal: the Sir George Williams Campus and the Loyola Campus.

Are there any notable alumni from Concordia University?

Yes, Concordia University has a number of notable alumni including actors William Shatner and Eugene Levy, filmmaker Xavier Dolan, and astronaut Julie Payette.