Platinum Oxidation in Molten Salt Reactor

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a pure platinum crucible in an argon atmosphere for heating Calcium Chloride salts to 850 deg C. The heating method is through induction heating and there are concerns about potential oxidation of the platinum and formation of platinum chlorides. However, it is unlikely to occur due to galvanic reactions. The main concern is the formation of PtCl2 which could result in platinum impurities in the final salt. It is suggested to use a galvanic cell to deposit any dissolved platinum back on the crucible. The amount of PtCl2 formed needs to be estimated to determine the next steps, and the solubility of Platinum Chloride in molten Calcium Chloride is needed for a worst
Andronicus1717
In an argon atmosphere, there is a pure platinum crucible that is used to heat Calcium Chloride salts to 850 deg C. After it is heated, pure chlorine gas is bubbled through the molten salt to remove CaO impurities. The heating method is by induction heating.

My questions/concerns: Since we are using induction heating, is there a risk that the induced current will oxidize the platinum and result in producing platinum chlorides.

Also, is there an analytical method to estimate how much platinum chloride will be produced through natural reactions (no induced currents)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Update

I've pretty much ruled out any degradation due to the induction currents. If there is a galvanic reaction with the platinum it would be to my benefit since platinum is very high on the cathode side of the galvanic series.

My main concern now is the formation of PtCl2 on the surface of the platinum. It has a melting point of ~581 deg C so my guess is it will dissolve in the molten CaCl2 resulting in Platinum impurities in the final salt. PtCl4 is not an issue since it will degrade at the temperatures in the crucible during flow.

Do you think it would be worth it to create a galvanic cell to try and depose any dissolved platinum back on the crucible?

In any case I'm stuck trying to quantitatively estimate the amount of PtCl2 formed which will determine how far I have to take this. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
According to the "Molten Salt Handbook", Platinum chloride decomposes at temperatures lower than the melting point of Calcium Chloride, however there could still be platinum chloride dissolved in solution. Does anyone know where I can find the solubility of Platinum Chloride in molten Calcium Chloride to give me a worst case?

1. What is Platinum Oxidation in Molten Salt Reactor?

Platinum oxidation in molten salt reactors refers to the process of platinum metal reacting with oxygen in the molten salt environment of a nuclear reactor. This reaction can lead to corrosion and degradation of the platinum components, impacting the performance and safety of the reactor.

2. Why is platinum used in Molten Salt Reactors?

Platinum is used in molten salt reactors due to its high melting point, chemical stability, and ability to resist corrosion in high temperature and corrosive environments. It is commonly used as a catalyst and in structural components in these reactors.

3. How does Platinum Oxidation affect the performance of a Molten Salt Reactor?

Platinum oxidation can negatively impact the performance of a molten salt reactor by degrading the platinum components, reducing their effectiveness as catalysts and potentially causing structural failures. This can lead to reduced efficiency and safety concerns for the reactor.

4. What measures are taken to prevent Platinum Oxidation in Molten Salt Reactors?

To prevent platinum oxidation in molten salt reactors, special coatings or treatments may be applied to the platinum components to protect them from the corrosive environment. In addition, careful control of the reactor's temperature and oxygen levels can help minimize the potential for oxidation.

5. Are there any alternatives to using Platinum in Molten Salt Reactors?

There are some alternative materials that can be used in place of platinum in molten salt reactors, such as other noble metals like palladium or ruthenium. However, these materials may also have their own limitations and potential for oxidation, so platinum remains a commonly used material in these reactors.