Help finding EE/Electric Circuit books

In summary, Bob is considering switching majors to EE and is looking for some advice. He has heard that Hayt and Nilsson are not good books, and is interested in finding an introductory book. He is also interested in other books that might be helpful for someone starting to learn about circuits. He has read some reviews of books that he might be interested in, and has decided to buy Fundamentals of Electric Circuits by Alexander & Sadiku. He is also interested in other books that every EE should have. Lastly, he is looking for a book about tensor analysis that he could read after finishing up with Alexander.
bob1182006
I'm not sure if this post is in the right thread.

Well I've decided to change majors from Physics to EE, now I have gotten really interested in circuits but the only books that I can find at my library are the one by Hayt, and I'm currently reading Nilsson :s I've heard both of them aren't so good.

So does anyone know of a good intro to electric circuit book? I know Fundamentals of Electric Circuits by Alexander & Sadiku is one of the best. But I can't find any solution manual for it. I want the solution manual because the at my college we will never be using that book, I believe Circuits I/II uses Hayt.

I'd really appreciate any help finding a great book about circuits that I can keep as reference.

Also if there are any other books every EE SHOULD have?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hambley's Electrical Engineering: Principles and applications aren't too bad at all
other Hambley's books in electronics are fairly good too.

I just found the solution manual for Fundamentals of Electric Circuits by Alexander & Sadiku, for the 2nd edition.
Just that it's a pdf and I think it's an illegally obtained copy of the teacher's Solution Manual.

Also, would these books be ok for someone who has no background on circuits?
Today I got a vague idea what a dependent/independent current/voltage source was :s

thanks for those online books, they seem really helpful, but I really want book so I can study away from a computer.

Fundamentals of Electric Circuits by Alexander & Sadiku is a fairly standard textbook for basic circuit theory. I also highly recommend The Art of Electronics by Horowitz & Hill, which covers practical circuit design in addition to circuit theory.

Is AoE good for someone starting to learn circuits? I read some reviews it seems more like a review/reference book.

I'm going to go to B&N tomorrow and see what editions of Fundamentals of Electric Circuits they have. As well as a book about PSPICE.

no but that's just my opinion, you need a basic electronics book before hand as well as a circuits fundamentals book that deals with mostly rcl circuits.

Woops sorry didn't read your post right, just woke up.

Thanks for the help I'll stick to Alexander for now and get AoE once I think I understand Alexander fairly well.

Last edited:
bob1182006 said:
I just found the solution manual for Fundamentals of Electric Circuits by Alexander & Sadiku, for the 2nd edition.
Just that it's a pdf and I think it's an illegally obtained copy of the teacher's Solution Manual.
bob: Don't worry about a solutions manual, just go ahead and download pspice, or use the software included in Alexander's cd to check your answers. I found the best way to study a book though, is getting other people interested in it and comparing your solutions with their's. Hope that helps.

bob1182006 said:
Also if there are any other books every EE SHOULD have?
I own Alexander for circuit analysis, Schilling for electronic circuits and Wakerly for for digital circuits and design. I think you should give those a look, they're really helpful.
If you can get your hands on REALLY REALLY old books, and if you get a kick from learning theoretical stuff, try to find "Tensor Analysis of Networks" by Gabriel Kron. You should be able to read it after finishing up with Alexander. I tell you though, its REALLY old and hard to find.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I just bought the 2nd edition brand new from Amazon.com
I'll be sure to figure out how to use pspice when I get the book ^.^

Tensor Analysis of Networks (General Electric Series) by Gabriel Kron (Hardcover - 1949)
That one? I found 2 used copies on amazon.com 1 for 250ish another for 60ish :s

Should I buy it? I can't find it on ebay/half.com o.o

Last edited:
bob1182006 said:
Thanks for the info, I just bought the 2nd edition brand new from Amazon.com
I'll be sure to figure out how to use pspice when I get the book ^.^

Tensor Analysis of Networks (General Electric Series) by Gabriel Kron (Hardcover - 1949)
That one? I found 2 used copies on amazon.com 1 for 250ish another for 60ish :s

Should I buy it? I can't find it on ebay/half.com o.o

Yep, that one. It teaches you tensor notation and then uses it to do some circuit analysis. It's not something you SHOULD know, merely a curiosity you might say. At those prices I wouldn't buy it, I found mine in a pawn shop for about 5 bucks :biggrin:

Kwel thanks I'll buy it soon and be sure to read it following Alexander

1. What are some recommended books for learning about EE/Electric Circuits?

Some popular books for learning about EE/Electric Circuits include "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits" by Charles Alexander and Matthew Sadiku, "Electric Circuits" by James W. Nilsson and Susan A. Riedel, and "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz and Simon Monk.

2. Are there any free online resources for learning about EE/Electric Circuits?

Yes, there are many free online resources available for learning about EE/Electric Circuits. Some examples include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and All About Circuits.

3. What level of knowledge is required to understand books on EE/Electric Circuits?

Most books on EE/Electric Circuits assume some prior knowledge of basic physics and math, such as algebra and calculus. However, there are also beginner-friendly books available that start from the basics.

4. Can EE/Electric Circuit books be used for self-study or are they better suited for classroom use?

EE/Electric Circuit books can be used for both self-study and classroom use. However, it may be helpful to have some guidance from a teacher or tutor when first learning about these complex topics.

5. Are there any specific books that focus on a certain aspect of EE/Electric Circuits?

Yes, there are many books that focus on specific aspects of EE/Electric Circuits, such as analog circuits, digital circuits, or power electronics. It is important to determine your specific area of interest and find a book that best suits your needs.