Help with syringe pressure and Students T test

In summary, the individual is conducting an experiment to prove that a smaller syringe creates a higher negative pressure for a given force of aspiration. They used a 5 ml and 10 ml syringe with a 1 kg weight and recorded the negative pressure readings using a Digitron electronic manometer. They are questioning if a "Students t" test would be appropriate and if MS excel can be used. They also mention the importance of considering the time aspect in the experiment.
madpsychic
I am a doctor with limited mathematics knowledge. I am trying to prove to my medical fraternity that for a given force of aspiration, a smaller syringe generates a higher "negative pressure". I did a small experiment. I hung an one kilogram weight on a 5 ml and 10 ml syringe and connected it to a Digitron electronic manometer. I got the following neg pressure readings (cm Hg).
The 5 ml syringe: 57.3;55.8;56.7;56.6;55.9;56.6;57.4;56.1;56.1;56.6 The 10 ml syringe gave the following: 32.8;32.3;30.7;31.9;31.9;32.6;30.6;33.3;32.1;30.5
I would like to"scientifically" say that the smaller syringe creates a bigger negative pressure.
Would a "Students t" test be an appropriate one to use ? Can I use MS excel do do the test ?

With regards to the posting by light_bulb: for each reading , i gave a 30 second time period for the readings to settle. Hopefully that will look after the time aspect of things ?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
you'll be using more force in the same amount of time to compensate for filling more volume, so unless your juggling the amount of force or time the larger syringe will create a higher negative pressure.

i'd just put it down like ml / seconds * 0.19336779 = psi a second at 0 degrees c

Last edited:

Hello,

As a math tutor, I would be happy to provide some guidance on your experiment and the use of statistical tests to prove your hypothesis.

Firstly, your experiment seems to be well-designed and provides sufficient data to support your claim. However, I would suggest taking multiple readings for each syringe and averaging them to reduce the margin of error. This will also help to account for any external factors that may have affected the readings.

Secondly, in order to determine if there is a significant difference in negative pressure between the two syringes, a statistical test is needed. In this case, the appropriate test to use would be the Student's t-test. This test compares the means of two independent samples and determines if there is a significant difference between them.

To perform the t-test, you will need to input your data into a statistical software program such as MS Excel or use an online calculator. The t-test will provide a p-value, which is the probability of obtaining the observed difference in means if there is no true difference between the two groups. A p-value of less than 0.05 is typically considered statistically significant.

In conclusion, with the data you have collected and the use of the Student's t-test, you can scientifically say that the smaller syringe generates a higher negative pressure. I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment!

1. What is syringe pressure and why is it important in science?

Syringe pressure refers to the force or pressure applied to the plunger of a syringe to dispense a liquid. In science, precise control of syringe pressure is crucial for accurate measurement and delivery of liquids, which is essential in experiments and research.

2. How do I determine the appropriate syringe pressure for my experiment?

The appropriate syringe pressure depends on several factors such as the type of liquid being dispensed, the volume needed, and the size of the syringe. It is best to consult the manufacturer's instructions or conduct a pilot experiment to determine the optimal pressure for your specific experiment.

3. What is a Student's T test and how is it used in science?

A Student's T test is a statistical method used to compare the means of two groups or samples. It is commonly used in science to determine if there is a significant difference between two sets of data, such as the results of an experiment with and without a treatment.

4. How do I perform a Student's T test for my data?

To perform a Student's T test, you will need to calculate the T value using the mean, standard deviation, and sample size of each group. This can be done manually or using statistical software. Once the T value is calculated, it can be compared to a critical value to determine if there is a significant difference between the two groups.

5. What should I do if the results of my Student's T test are not significant?

If the results of your Student's T test are not significant, it means that there is not enough evidence to conclude that there is a difference between the two groups. In this case, you may need to collect more data or consider other factors that may have influenced the results of your experiment. It is also important to interpret the results in the context of your research question and hypothesis.