Finding Relative Extrema & Points Of Inflection

In summary, the program finds the roots for f(x) = 1x/2 - sin(x) when x is in the interval (0,2pi) but it doesn't find the roots for f(x) = 1x/2 - cos(x) when x is in the interval (0,2pi).
Cod
For the function below, I have to find the exact values of x for which relative extreme exist and the exact values of x for which points of inflection exist.

[tex]f(x) = 1x/2 - sin(x)[/tex] when x is in the interval [tex](0,2pi)[/tex]

Here's what I have:

[tex]f'x = 1/2 - cos(x) = 0[/tex] (I'm not sure how to solve for x in this spot)

Also, for the finding the inflection points, I have this:

[tex]f"x = sin(x) = 0[/tex]

[tex]x = 0/sin = 0[/tex] (This right? Or did I screw up before this?)

I guess my troubles are based around the basic trig functions as well as algebra. I'm in the process of moving, so my algebra book will be hard to find; however, I'm about to start looking.

Any help to point me in the right direction would be fantastic. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, wtf is up with your post? It there's a big black area and I can see some of the page's source code.

[tex]f'(x) = \frac{1}{2} -cos(x) = 0[/tex]

[tex]cos(x) = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

You can either cheap out and use your calculator or you can draw those goofy triangles. http://myfiles.dyndns.org/math/value_triangle1.jpg is the one that applies in this case.
Turn 60 degrees into radians by dividing by 180 then multiplying by pi.

[tex]x = \frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]

I can't even read what you have for inflection stuff because of the black area I mentioned.

[tex]f''(x) = sin(x) = 0[/tex]

[tex]x = 0, \pi , 2\pi[/tex]

That is NOT the answer though! The interval is between 0 and 2[tex]\pi[/tex] but those are rounded brackets. Round brackets mean you do NOT include the limits, that means 0 and 2[tex]\pi[/tex] are not answers.

[tex]x = \pi[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a program that finds roots. First extremum x is a little more than 1 radian and second about 5.20

Originally posted by outandbeyond2004
I have a program that finds roots. First extremum x is a little more than 1 radian and second about 5.20

Excellent point.

cos(x) = 1/2 is a referance angle. The first correct answer is pi/3. The second answer is mirrored around the x-axis (sine is mirrored around the y axis). The second answer should be 2pi - pi/3 which is 5pi/3 (about 5.23 as beyond had said).

Thanks for the help fellas. I don't know why my post looks like that. I checked it about 20 times looking for a mistake in the Latex coding, but there aren't any.

1. What is the definition of a relative extremum?

A relative extremum is a point on a function where the slope (or derivative) changes from positive to negative or negative to positive. This means that the function either reaches a maximum point (if the derivative changes from positive to negative) or a minimum point (if the derivative changes from negative to positive).

2. How do you find relative extrema on a graph?

To find relative extrema on a graph, you need to look for points where the slope changes from positive to negative or negative to positive. These points will appear as peaks or valleys on the graph. You can also find them by taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to 0 to find the critical points, then using the second derivative test to determine if they are maximum or minimum points.

3. What is the difference between a relative extremum and an absolute extremum?

A relative extremum is a point on a function where the slope changes, while an absolute extremum is the highest or lowest point on the entire function. An absolute extremum can occur at a relative extremum, but it can also occur at other points on the function where the slope is not changing.

4. How do you find points of inflection on a graph?

To find points of inflection on a graph, you need to look for points where the concavity changes from positive to negative or negative to positive. These points will appear as a change in the curvature of the graph. You can also find them by taking the second derivative of the function and setting it equal to 0 to find the inflection points.

5. Can a point of inflection also be a relative extremum?

Yes, a point of inflection can also be a relative extremum. This occurs when the slope changes from positive to negative or negative to positive at the inflection point, indicating that it is also a maximum or minimum point. However, not all points of inflection are relative extrema.