Geological aspect of mountains?

• Thread starter Luke987
  • Start date
In summary, mountains are not only visually stunning, but they also serve important purposes for our planet. They create weather patterns, provide a source of water for human populations, and play a crucial role in the Earth's geology and rock cycle. Without mountains, our planet would be drastically different and potentially uninhabitable for human life.
Luke987
A few days ago I heard that if mountains, really a result of plate tectonics, didn't exist our planet would only be covered by a few thousand feet of water and that it would have a perfect geode form.

How true is this? Scientifically have they been given a purpose?

(Not interested in philosophy here)

Thanks

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Luke987 said:
A few days ago I heard that if mountains, really a result of plate tectonics, didn't exist our planet would only be covered by a few thousand feet of water and that it would have a perfect geode form.

How true is this? Scientifically have they been given a purpose?

(Not interested in philosophy here)

Thanks
They create weather patterns for one thing.

If you smoothed out the surface, it would be under water. Basically the oceans are on average much deeper than the land is high.

As to the purpose of mountains - other than for planes to crash into and singing nuns to run across I don't know.

Well conceivably all the solid mass could form a uniform sphere and the water form an outer layer, it being less dense.

But Nature seemed to have other ideas.

Here are some ideas of what the Western US looked like at different periods.
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~rcb7/paleogeogwus.html

Somewhere there is a site that maps ancient oceans, which indicates that water covered more of the Earth's surface in the past than now. The ocean's were much shallowe as well. But at the moment, I don't remember the site. :frown:

Here's one but it's not the one I'm thinking of.
http://www.palaeos.com/Proterozoic/Proterozoic.htm
http://www.palaeos.com/Paleozoic/Paleozoic.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
mgb_phys said:
As to the purpose of mountains - other than for planes to crash into and singing nuns to run across I don't know.
or serving as a backdrop to the sound of music. :rofl:

Thanks for the quick replies.

So is it safe to say that there would be no real problem if mountains weren't on Earth? Would it have been a problem back in Homo sapiens periods etc when they had no idea on how to make sea water drinkable or the like? I don't see it leading to extinction.

All other posts appreciated.

Evo, can you expand on the weather patterns? Thanks :)

Last edited:
Luke987 said:
So is it safe to say that there would be no real problem if mountains weren't on Earth?
For anything that lives in deep oceans it wouldn't really matter.

Would it have been a problem back in Homo sapiens periods etc when they had no idea on how to make sea water drinkable or the like? I don't see it leading to extinction.
It would have been difficult to get H.S. when there was no land for fish to crawl out onto and begin the process of evolving into reptiles and then mammals.

Remember if there were no mammals the surface would ALL be ocean a few 1000 feet deep!

I imagine if we didn't have mountains, the weasther would be a fair bit more harsh though more consistent.

You could get high velocity winds and very powerful hurricanes unfettered by the weakening effect of landmasses.

DaveC426913 said:
I imagine if we didn't have mountains, the weasther would be a fair bit more harsh though more consistent.

You could get high velocity winds and very powerful hurricanes unfettered by the weakening effect of landmasses.

Though would you say more consistent weather would make up for that and thus no mountains would be good?

Luke987 said:
Though would you say more consistent weather would make up for that and thus no mountains would be good?
I am merely stating effects, not judging them.:tongue2:

Perhaps I shouldn't have tied harsh and consistent together like that. Though I think it would have been even weirder to say more harsh and more consistent.

Interesting stuff.

It's all party of the rock cycle mate, mountains = uplifted rock, you get basins behind the overiding tectonic slab (hinterland) and in front of it (foreland), the mountains erode and the sediment is deposited in the basins. So if you didn't have mountains these basin sediments wouldn't form, basically the Earth's geology would be completely different, that's not the "purpose" of mountains, the purpose of mountains is so we can go rock climbing :). Mountains do provide geologists with a lot of rock exposure, without mountains most of the Earth's surface would be covered with water and soils (although maybe without mountains there wouldn't be life, and thus no soils?) - without mountains most people wouldn't even know what a rock was!

Mountains are important for a couple of reasons:

1) They usually are the source for rivers that provide a water source to human populations.
2) They create a cooling off spot for precipitation. As the clouds move over the mountains, the air cools and finally produces rain which helps the agriculture for human populations.

1. What are mountains made of?

Mountains are primarily made of rocks, which are composed of different combinations of minerals. The most common types of rocks found in mountains are sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic rocks. The specific type of rock present in a mountain depends on how it was formed.

2. How are mountains formed?

Mountains are formed through various geological processes, including plate tectonics, volcanic activity, and erosion. For example, when two tectonic plates collide, the land is pushed upward, forming mountains. Volcanic activity can also create mountains by spewing lava and ash that eventually harden into rock. Additionally, mountains can be formed by erosion, where wind and water wear away at the land, leaving behind steep peaks and valleys.

3. How old are mountains?

The age of a mountain can vary greatly depending on its formation. Some mountains, such as the Himalayas, are relatively young at less than 100 million years old. However, other mountains, like the Appalachians, can be over 480 million years old. The age of a mountain can also change over time as it continues to experience geological processes.

4. What role do mountains play in the Earth's ecosystem?

Mountains are incredibly important to the Earth's ecosystem. They act as natural barriers that protect low-lying areas from extreme weather events. They also provide habitats for a wide range of plant and animal species. Additionally, mountains are a major source of freshwater, as they collect and store snow and rain, which eventually flows into rivers and streams.

5. How do mountains affect humans?

Mountains have a significant impact on human life. They provide resources such as minerals, timber, and water for irrigation and consumption. Mountains are also popular tourist destinations, attracting millions of visitors each year. However, living in mountainous regions can also present challenges, such as difficult terrain and extreme weather conditions. Mountains can also play a role in natural disasters, including landslides and avalanches.