Understanding Magnetic Flux and Density: Relationship and Comparison

In summary, increasing the current flowing through a solenoid will increase the magnetic flux density but cannot increase the magnetic flux. Magnetic flux is the total number of lines crossing a given surface, while flux density is the number of lines per unit area. A more powerful magnet will have a greater flux density, but the distribution of magnetic flux lines may differ. Theoretically, the stronger magnet can produce a stronger magnetic induction at the same distance, or the same induction at a greater distance.
Mr_Bojingles
I read somewhere that increasing the current flowing through a solenoid will increase the magnetic flux density but cannot increase the magnetic flux.

From what I gather magnetic flux is the space the magnetic field covers or the range of the magnetic flux lines and flux density is how many flux lines there are within the range of the magnetic field.

If I had a regular permanent magnet and a more powerful rare Earth magnet which was exactly the same size as the regular magnet obviously the Earth magnet would have a greater flux density but would it have a greater magnetic flux? Would its magnetic flux lines reach greater distances than the regular magnet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr_Bojingles said:
I read somewhere that increasing the current flowing through a solenoid will increase the magnetic flux density but cannot increase the magnetic flux.
Since flux requires a definition of the surface being considered (see below), this is not a complete statement. One example of a more complete statement: the total magnetic flux crossing a plane perpendicular to the solenoid axis and located at the solenoid midpoint is zero. For this geometry the statement is true. It may not hold for other cases.

From what I gather magnetic flux is the space the magnetic field covers or the range of the magnetic flux lines and flux density is how many flux lines there are within the range of the magnetic field.
Not exactly. Magnetic flux density is the number of flux lines, or lines of magnetic force, per unit area. It is denoted by the symbol B, and is also called the magnetic induction, or sometimes, confusingly, magnetic field. Flux, on the other hand, is the total number of lines crossing a given surface, so it is a surface integral of B.

If I had a regular permanent magnet and a more powerful rare Earth magnet which was exactly the same size as the regular magnet obviously the Earth magnet would have a greater flux density but would it have a greater magnetic flux?
I hope this is clearer from the discussion above.
Would its magnetic flux lines reach greater distances than the regular magnet?
Theoretically, the field lines can fill all of space, but with vanishing density so the magnetic induction B approaches zero far away. The stronger magnet will produce a stronger induction at the same distance, or the same induction at a greater distance.

I can confirm that the statement about increasing the current in a solenoid only increasing magnetic flux density and not magnetic flux is correct. Magnetic flux is a measure of the total number of magnetic field lines passing through a given area, while magnetic flux density is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field at a specific point.

In the case of a solenoid, increasing the current will increase the number of magnetic field lines passing through the area of the solenoid, thus increasing the magnetic flux density. However, the total magnetic flux remains constant as it is determined by the characteristics of the solenoid, such as the number of turns and the material it is made of.

In the case of your example with the regular and rare Earth magnets, both magnets will have the same magnetic flux as they have the same size and shape. However, the rare Earth magnet will have a higher magnetic flux density due to its stronger magnetic field.

It is important to note that while magnetic flux and magnetic flux density are related, they are not interchangeable. Magnetic flux is a measure of the total magnetic field passing through a given area, while magnetic flux density is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field at a specific point. Both are important factors in understanding and studying magnetic fields.

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

2. How does magnetic flux relate to magnetic field strength?

Magnetic flux is directly proportional to magnetic field strength. This means that an increase in magnetic field strength will result in an increase in magnetic flux, and vice versa.

3. What is the difference between magnetic flux and magnetic field density?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a surface, while magnetic field density is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field at a specific point in space. In other words, magnetic flux is a measure of the total amount of magnetic field, while magnetic field density is a measure of the intensity of that field.

4. How are magnetic flux and magnetic field density calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the surface area perpendicular to the field. Magnetic field density is calculated by dividing the magnetic flux by the area over which it is distributed.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding magnetic flux and density?

Understanding magnetic flux and density is important in many fields, including electrical engineering, physics, and materials science. It is essential for designing and operating devices such as motors, generators, and magnetic storage devices. It also plays a role in phenomena such as electromagnetic induction and magnetic levitation.