Solve Rolle's Theorem: Find c in [-1,3] for F'(c)=0

• Thread starter BuBbLeS01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses using Rolle's Theorem to find values of c on the open interval (-1, 3) where the derivative of the function F(x) = (x^2 - 2x + 3) / (x + 2) is equal to 0. The attempted solution involves finding the derivative, simplifying it, and solving for x. The conversation also briefly mentions solving a different equation using algebraic techniques.
BuBbLeS01

Homework Statement

Use Rolle's Theorem to find all values of c n the open interval (a,b) such that f'(c)=0
F(x) = (x^2 - 2x + 3) / (x + 2)
Closed interval [-1, 3]

2. The attempt at a solution
Okay so...
F(-1) = F(3)
F'(x) = [(x+2)(2x+2)] - [(1)(x^2-2x-3)] / (x+2)^2
simplified to (x^2 + 4x - 1) / (x + 2)^2
I need to solve for x and I am having an algebra block! How do I do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
F'(x) vanishes if the numerator vanishes. It's a quadratic equation. But check your derivative first. It didn't come out right.

Oh okay...One more...
I have (2/3)x^(-1/3) = 1
How do solve for x again?

Multiply both sides by 3/2, then take both sides to the power of -3. Where did I come up with 3/2 and -3?

I don't know??

I'm trying to get x by itself. Multiplying by 3/2 cancels the 2/3, taking it to the power of -3 cancels the -1/3 exponent. Now I have x on one side and just numbers on the other. It's called 'algebra'.

1. What is Rolle's Theorem?

Rolle's Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point within the interval where the derivative of the function is equal to 0.

2. How do you solve for c in Rolle's Theorem?

To solve for c in Rolle's Theorem, you need to find the derivative of the function and set it equal to 0. Then, you can use algebraic methods to solve for c.

3. What is the significance of finding c in Rolle's Theorem?

Finding c in Rolle's Theorem allows us to identify a point where the slope of the tangent line to the function is equal to 0. This can provide important information about the behavior of the function and can be used to solve other problems in calculus.

4. What is the interval in which we need to find c in Rolle's Theorem?

In this particular problem, we are given the interval [-1,3], which means we need to find c within this interval. However, Rolle's Theorem can be applied to any closed interval [a,b] where a < b.

5. Can Rolle's Theorem be applied to all types of functions?

Rolle's Theorem can only be applied to continuous functions that are differentiable on the open interval. This means that the function must be defined and have a derivative at every point within the interval.