Are Subalgebras Merely Specific Submatrices in Lisi's ESToE?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the complexity of Lie Algebra and the confusion surrounding the symbols and concepts involved. The mention of AESToE for Dummies and Lisi's ESToE paper highlights the difficulty in understanding the subject, with references to subalgebras, fermions, and triality. There is also a humorous comparison to a legal proceeding.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I sure wish I had studied a bit of Lie Algebra so that I might at least have a clue as to what they are all talking about!

How about some AESToE for Dummies?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
50 years ago I took a course in "modern algebra" and Sophus Lie was in there.
The stuff these guys are doing is far-removed from anything I ever remember seeing.
The symbols are also confusing. But then, I don't pretend to be a mathematician...
I'd rather be whatever it is that I am. Confused, most likely.

From the abstract of Lisi's ESToE paper -

All fields of the standard model and gravity are unified as an E8 principal bundle connection. A non-compact real form of the E8 Lie algebra has G2 and F4 subalgebras which break down to strong su(3), electroweak su(2) x u(1), gravitational so(3,1), the frame-Higgs, and three generations of fermions related by triality. The interactions and dynamics of these 1-form and Grassmann valued parts of an E8 superconnection are described by the curvature and action over a four dimensional base manifold.

and the problem is Ivan? :biggrin:

Triality - I thought that was a proceeding with a judge, a jury and a gallows out back behind the courthouse in Crawford TX -- not a flavor of fermions.

Astronuc said:
From the abstract of Lisi's ESToE paper -

and the problem is Ivan? :biggrin:

:biggrin:

Are subalgebras really just submatrices that meet specific criteria?.

1. What is Lisi's AESToE?

Lisi's AESToE (An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything) is a theory proposed by physicist Garrett Lisi in 2007. It attempts to unify all four fundamental forces of nature (gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear) through the use of a mathematical framework known as E8.

2. How does Lisi's AESToE differ from other theories of everything?

Lisi's AESToE is unique in that it attempts to unify all four fundamental forces through the use of E8, which is a complex mathematical structure with 248 dimensions. Other theories of everything, such as string theory, use different mathematical frameworks and have not yet been proven.

3. Has Lisi's AESToE been proven or accepted by the scientific community?

No, Lisi's AESToE has not been proven or widely accepted by the scientific community. It is still considered a theoretical concept and has not been tested or verified through experiments.

4. What are the potential implications of Lisi's AESToE?

If Lisi's AESToE is proven to be correct, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could also potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in science.

5. What is the current status of Lisi's AESToE?

Lisi's AESToE is still a theoretical concept and has not yet been proven or tested. However, it continues to be studied and debated by scientists, and further research may shed light on its validity in the future.