Can the ti-89 be used effectively for physics problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a ti-89 titanium calculator for physics problems and the search for resources to learn how to utilize its built-in features. The conversation also mentions finding a guide specifically for using the calculator in physics and provides a link to a website and tutorial for this purpose.
Bubofthedead
Hi,

I am pretty good with my calculator, but I am beginning to notice that my ti-89 titanium has many features that I am not making use of when I am working on my physics HW or exams. I am not talking about programs that can be downloaded, but the built-in features.

I am wondering if anyone knows of a website or a guide that teaches how to use the ti-89 when doing physics problems. It is one thing to see the prof work on the board, but she never does anything with the calculator except remind us we need to bring it for the exam.

For example, I just figured out how the conversions function to work (without getting inconsistent units), and I am trying to figure how the impDif function works.

Any help is appreciated, a guide that uses the ti-89 would be nice, but also have a ti-84.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I searched google and found this...

http://education.ti.com/educationportal/downloadcenter/SoftwareDetail.do?website=US&tabId=2&appId=6129" [Broken]

Enjoy it! :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you have to download it. I couldn't find one you didn't have to download unfortunately...

Yeah, I have that from when I bought it, I was thinking more about lessons that teach how to use the calculator with a specific focus on physics. At least I can use the file to search for things instead of flipping through the pages. Thanks for the reply tho.

I'll have another look for you.

Try this...

http://pages.infinit.net/carl/TI89tutoen.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the main features of the TI-89 calculator for use in physics?

The TI-89 calculator has many features that make it useful for physics, including the ability to solve equations, graph functions, perform calculus operations, and work with units and constants.

How can the TI-89 calculator be used to solve equations in physics?

The TI-89 calculator has a built-in equation solver that can solve for variables in both linear and nonlinear equations. It also allows users to define their own equations and solve them using given values.

Can the TI-89 calculator graph functions in physics?

Yes, the TI-89 calculator has a graphing feature that allows users to plot functions and analyze their behavior. It can graph functions in both rectangular and polar coordinates, and has the ability to trace and zoom in on specific parts of the graph.

How does the TI-89 calculator perform calculus operations?

The TI-89 calculator has a CAS (Computer Algebra System) that allows it to perform calculus operations, such as derivatives and integrals, symbolically. It also has numerical integration and differentiation capabilities.

Can the TI-89 calculator work with units and constants in physics?

Yes, the TI-89 calculator has a unit conversion feature that allows users to work with different units of measurement in their calculations. It also has a built-in library of physical constants that can be easily accessed for use in equations and calculations.