How can mass be converted into energy?

• Thread starter Physicsissuef
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy Mass
In summary: The conversion of energy into mass is not a mystical thing. It's just a matter of doing math.energy can not become mass, but it can become BINDING energy
Physicsissuef
how can mass be converted into energy when the mass is already energy? I was reading about mass defect, and it says that the mass is converted into energy. How is that possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mass is converted into BINDING energy - that is the mass defect.

but isn't the mass itself energY? How energy can be converted into energy?

Do you remember this fundemantal physic-law?

"Energy can neither be created nor be destroyed" There exists different kinds of energy, kinetic energy, potential energy, electrostatic energy, chemical energy, heat, Mass etc. You may transform the energy into any of these kinds as you wish, as long as the total amount of energy is conserved -> Principle of energy conservation.

Remember the introductory example in mechanics where you add energy to roll a ball up the hill (gives it potential energy). And then when you release the ball, it roll down the hill (gains kinetic energy). Now how did you get the energy to roll the ball up the hill? Probably by eating some food (chemical energy), which your body transformed into mechanical energy. And the food gained its energy from the sun (heat).

The same way it works in this situation, you have different kinds of energy, beening transformed into one another. It's nothing mystical.

And is the mass energy, because I am not sure?

Physicsissuef said:
And is the mass energy, because I am not sure?

Yes, you may regard mass as one form of energy :biggrin:

Ok. Thanks very much for the help. :)

And can I ask you one very interesting question? If we have only one nuclei (lets say 1 neutron 1 proton), and if we separate it on half (1 neutron separated from 1 proton), will then the binding energy be converted into mass?

Look up the mass of a deuterium atom, and compare it to the masses of a hydrogen atom and a neutron.

The mass of a hydrogen atom is less than the mass of neutron + mass of proton. I already know that. But I want to know how did the scientist find the mass of neutron and proton, when all of the neutrons and protons are paired into nucleus? And again will then the binding energy be converted into mass?

We can't speak about "if we move the proton and neutron further away", since we are the quantum mechanical world.

I think what you really are asking if energy can be converted into mass, and yes - that is possible. That's how particle creation at accelerators are done.

When they were connected mass has been converted into energy (mass defect), now will the process be reversible? If we separate them, will there binding energy be converted into mass?

Physicsissuef said:
When they were connected mass has been converted into energy (mass defect), now will the process be reversible? If we separate them, will there binding energy be converted into mass?

hehe

well if you separate them as much as jtbell said, then they will have more mass.

Its very strange from one side, but it is logical on the other side :smile:

does the fact that energy can become mass mean it already has mass? i am very puzzled how you could in principle, add a zero weight to one side of scales yet make it heavier, yet if energy is massless that is what is occurring if energy has zero mass but can become mass.

1. What is the equation for converting mass into energy?

The famous equation, E = mc2, is used to calculate the amount of energy that can be obtained from a given mass. E represents energy in joules, m represents mass in kilograms, and c is the speed of light in meters per second.

2. How does mass get converted into energy?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, mass and energy are equivalent and can be transformed into each other. When particles with mass are accelerated, they gain kinetic energy, which is a form of energy. This kinetic energy can then be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or light.

3. Can any mass be converted into energy?

Yes, any mass can be converted into energy through the process of nuclear reactions. However, the amount of energy produced will vary depending on the type and amount of mass involved.

4. How much energy can be obtained from a given amount of mass?

The amount of energy that can be obtained from a given mass can be calculated using the equation E = mc2. This means that the more mass that is involved, the more energy can be obtained.

5. Are there any practical applications of converting mass into energy?

Yes, the most well-known practical application of converting mass into energy is nuclear power. Nuclear power plants use nuclear reactions to convert mass into energy, which is then used to generate electricity. This process is also used in nuclear weapons.