Dual output dc power supply questions

In summary, the assignment requires the student to draw a schematic diagram of a dual output dc power supply, identify the sub sections that make up the power supply, and lastly a report on how the power supply operates.
†D-fy†
Hi, actually someone already posted the same questions but I thought it would be weird to continue from that post as I have a lot of questions of my own.

The assignment requires me to draw a schematic diagram of a dual output dc power supply, identify the sub sections that make up the power supply and lastly a report on how the power supply operates.

Ok, before I can NOT fully rely on the others' help to answer these questions I need to ask a few questions of my own because I absolutely know nothing about dual output dc power supply. Here goes...
1) What is a dual output dc power supply?
2) What does it do?
3) How does it do it?

Well, thanks for helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

1) As the name suggests, it is a power supply with two separate outputs. They will be at different voltages: usually a positive and negative of the same value, but sometimes not. Examples: +15V and -15V, or +5V and +12V.
2) It outputs 2 voltages. For example, having both +/-15V is convenient for powering op-amps.
3) There are different ways to do this, I suppose. You might try a Google search on "dual output" "dc supply" and see what pops up. Adding the term "schematic" to that search might help too.

I tried searching with google and other search engines but I can't seem to find any useful information. All I found was links to advertisement of products of the power supply by different companies.
I wish someone can help.

Umm by the way, anyone can tell me if a dual polarity dc power supply and a dual output dc power supply are the same thing or are they different?

Oh I forgot to mention that the assignment requires the dual output dc power supply to hav the outputs of +15V and -15V and also it must have not more than 15 components. What does the "components" refer to anyway?

Components are things like diodes, transformers, resistors, capacitors, and i.c.'s (integrated circuits). It would not include wires, connectors, or plugs.

I'm a little curious about this course and assignment. Does the professor assume you have been taught the necessary material in course lectures or textbook reading, or is it more of an independent study/research type of assignment?

Here is a schematic for a single-output dc supply:
http://home.maine.rr.com/randylinscott/nov98.htm
The circuit has 10 components. One could probably leave out the switch and fuse, for 8 components.

Last edited by a moderator:
†D-fy† said:
Umm by the way, anyone can tell me if a dual polarity dc power supply and a dual output dc power supply are the same thing or are they different?

Not 100% sure, but I think "dual output" refers to any supply with 2 output voltages. It could be dual polarity (positive and negative), or not (2 different positive voltages, for example).

A dual output power supply for +15V and -15V also requires a ground output.

Given only a dozen or so components, I'd be looking at center tap transformer, two rectifiers, about a half dozen capacitors, and a couple of voltage regulator chips. After getting something that regulates together, the most important thing is to verify that the components are specified so that they pass the smoke test. I.e. sufficient current and volage specifications.

You also need to have specified the incoming power. Maybe 120 VAC? Or perhaps DC which will require a switcher and may be problematic to keep under the parts list. Other things to think about: on/off switch. Power plug. Fuze. output jacks.

I'm a little curious about this course and assignment. Does the professor assume you have been taught the necessary material in course lectures or textbook reading, or is it more of an independent study/research type of assignment?
I think the teacher wants us to research ourselves but he did not take into consideration that, not knowing anything, it would be very difficult for us to even understand our "research". What's worse is that almost none could find anything online.

Redbelly98 said:
Not 100% sure, but I think "dual output" refers to any supply with 2 output voltages. It could be dual polarity (positive and negative), or not (2 different positive voltages, for example).
So with output of +15V and -15V, the dual output dc power supply is also a dual polarity dc power supply?

Oh and thanks CarlB, if only the teacher had taught something about what you just said, I could have used what you said to draw the schematic...but I really don't understand what you said...I also saw a schematic somewhere but I don't understand it at all too...

Sorry for being absent from this thread for the last 24+ hours. I am still unclear on just how thorough the teacher expects the assignment report to be, given that:
1) The students have little (or none?) exposure to electrical circuits, and
2) This seems to be a high school physics course (since you refer to your "teacher", not your "professor"), but I could be wrong about that. To my knowledge circuits like this normally appear in college-level electronics courses.

At this point, here is what advice I can offer:
1. Can you understand the schematic I linked to in Post #6, for a single-output power supply? A dual supply would be similar, but of course more complicated because there are 2 voltage sources instead of just one.
2. Can the teacher recommend a source or reference to look this up? A book in your library perhaps?

So with output of +15V and -15V, the dual output dc power supply is also a dual polarity dc power supply?
Yes. But I would go with whatever term or phrase is used by the teacher in the assignment write-up.

1. What is a dual output DC power supply?

A dual output DC power supply is a type of power supply that has two separate outputs, typically with different voltage and current ratings. This allows for the simultaneous powering of two different devices or circuits.

2. How does a dual output DC power supply work?

A dual output DC power supply works by converting AC power from a wall outlet into DC power through a process called rectification. The power supply then regulates the output voltage and current to the desired levels for each output channel.

3. What are the benefits of using a dual output DC power supply?

There are several benefits to using a dual output DC power supply, including cost savings, space efficiency, and improved convenience. By having two outputs in one unit, you can save money and space by not needing to purchase and use two separate power supplies. Additionally, having both outputs in one unit can also make it easier to power and control multiple devices or circuits.

4. What types of devices can be powered by a dual output DC power supply?

A dual output DC power supply can power a wide range of electronic and electrical devices, including computers, sensors, motors, and other electronic components. It is commonly used in industries such as telecommunications, manufacturing, and research and development.

5. How do I choose the right dual output DC power supply for my needs?

When choosing a dual output DC power supply, it is important to consider the voltage and current requirements of the devices you will be powering. You should also look for a power supply with high efficiency, good regulation, and protection features such as overvoltage and overcurrent protection. It is also helpful to read reviews and compare specifications of different power supply models to find the best fit for your specific needs.