Roots of a equation with complex numbers

In summary, To find the roots of the given quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula, which is -b+-sqrtb^2-4ac/2a. However, make sure to be careful when taking the square root.
subopolois

Homework Statement

how do i find the roots of this: x^2-(2-1)x+(3-i)=0

Homework Equations

-b+-sqrtb^2-4ac/2a (quardaric equation)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far?

And why did you write it as "(2-1)x" and not "x"? Did you mean "(2-i)x" instead? Why can't you just apply the formula?

Defennder said:
What have you done so far?

And why did you write it as "(2-1)x" and not "x"? Did you mean "(2-i)x" instead? Why can't you just apply the formula?

and what formula would that be?

subopolois said:
and what formula would that be?

Use the 'quadratic equation'.

The quadratic formula that YOU gave in your first post! Be careful about taking the square root. That's the only "hard" part.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part. They are represented as a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part (with i being the imaginary unit).

2. How do you find the roots of an equation with complex numbers?

To find the roots of an equation with complex numbers, you can use the quadratic formula or factor the equation. The roots will be in the form of a + bi, where a and b are real numbers.

3. Can complex numbers have more than two roots?

Yes, complex numbers can have multiple roots. For example, the equation x^3 - 8 = 0 has three roots: 2, -1+√3i, and -1-√3i.

4. What is the relationship between complex numbers and the complex plane?

Complex numbers can be represented as points on the complex plane, where the horizontal axis represents the real part and the vertical axis represents the imaginary part. This allows for visualizing complex numbers and their operations.

5. Are there any special properties of the roots of an equation with complex numbers?

Yes, the roots of an equation with complex numbers have a few special properties. The product of the roots is equal to the constant term divided by the leading coefficient, and the sum of the roots is equal to the opposite of the coefficient of the second highest degree term divided by the leading coefficient.