Wavelength Conversion in Water: 640 nm Light & Wedge

In summary, the problem involves a light of wavelength 640 nm in water illuminating a glass wedge submerged in water with a refractive index of 1.5. The distance between successive bright fringes is 6 mm and the challenge lies in converting the wavelength of light in one medium to the wavelength in another. This can be done using the equation λn = λ/n, where n is the refractive index. To find the wavelength in glass, the equation λ/1.5 must be used.
lha08

Homework Statement

Light of wavelength 640 nm in water illuminates a glass (n = 1.5) wedge submerged in water (n = 1.33). If the distance between successive bright fringes is 6 mm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a lot of trouble trying to convert the wavelength of light into the wavelength of water...but the rest i pretty much understand, just that little part that is really frustrating me.

Physics news on Phys.org
lha08 said:
I have a lot of trouble trying to convert the wavelength of light into the wavelength of water...but the rest i pretty much understand, just that little part that is really frustrating me.
You mean convert the wavelength of light in one medium to the wavelength it would have in another.

It's easiest if you always compare the wavelength in a medium to the wavelength in vacuum (n = 1). λn = λ/n. So, 640 nm = λ/1.33. To find the wavelength in glass, you need to figure out λ/1.5.

I understand your frustration with converting the wavelength of light into the wavelength of water. However, it is important to note that the wavelength of light does not change when it enters a different medium such as water. The wavelength of light is a property of the light itself, not the medium it is passing through.

In this scenario, the 640 nm wavelength of light will remain the same when it enters the water and illuminates the glass wedge. The only change that will occur is in the speed at which the light travels, due to the different refractive indices of water and glass.

To calculate the distance between successive bright fringes, we can use the equation d = λL/D, where d is the distance between fringes, λ is the wavelength of light, L is the distance between the light source and the wedge, and D is the distance between the wedge and the screen where the fringes are observed.

In this case, we can substitute the values given in the problem: λ = 640 nm, L = unknown, D = 6 mm. We can solve for L by rearranging the equation to L = dD/λ. Plugging in the values, we get L = (6 mm)(640 nm)/(1.33-1.5) = 0.0096 m.

Therefore, the distance between the light source and the wedge is 0.0096 m or 9.6 mm. I hope this helps with your homework!

1. What is wavelength conversion in water?

Wavelength conversion in water refers to the process of changing the wavelength of light as it passes through water. This can occur through various mechanisms, such as absorption, scattering, and refraction.

2. What is the significance of 640 nm light in wavelength conversion in water?

640 nm light, also known as red light, is a commonly used wavelength in studies of wavelength conversion in water. This is because red light has a longer wavelength and is less susceptible to absorption and scattering compared to shorter wavelengths, making it easier to study.

3. How does a wedge affect wavelength conversion in water?

A wedge, or a thin angled piece of material, can affect wavelength conversion in water by causing the light to pass through at different angles and depths. This can result in changes in the light's wavelength and intensity as it travels through the water.

4. What are some potential applications of studying wavelength conversion in water?

Studying wavelength conversion in water can have various applications, such as understanding the behavior of light in different types of water, developing new optical technologies, and studying the effects of pollution and climate change on water quality.

5. How can wavelength conversion in water be measured?

Wavelength conversion in water can be measured using various techniques, such as spectrophotometry, which measures the absorption and scattering of light, or fluorescence spectroscopy, which measures the emission of light from certain molecules. Additionally, specialized equipment such as laser-based systems can also be used for precise measurements.