Problem driving me insane electric forces

In summary, when two identical ions are separated by a distance of 3.3*10-10m, the electrostatic force each exerts on the other is 8.5*10^-9N. To find the number of electrons missing from each ion, the charges can be found using Coulomb's law and solving for Q. Since the charges are identical, Q1*Q2 = Q*Q. Substituting the given values and solving for Q, it can be converted to electron charges by using the charge of an electron in Coulombs. The final result will be in Coulombs, which can be converted to the number of electrons using the charge of an electron.
supermenscher
When 2 identical ions are separated by a distance of 3.3*10-10m, the electrostatic force each exerts on the other is 8.5*10^-9N. How many electrons are missing from each ion?

I know I have to use coloumb's law to get Q1Q2, but how do i get the number of electrons missing from each?

Physics news on Phys.org
The charges are identical, so Q1 = Q2 = Q. Solve for Q and figure out how many electron charges that it equates to.

I solved for Q, but how do i convert to electron charges? Because Q comes out in Coloumb's squared

Not if you did it correctly. Show me how you applied Coulomb's law and solved for Q.

Q = F*r*r/k
Q = 8.5*10^-9N *(3.3*10^-10m)^2/9.0*10^9 N*m^2/C^2
Q = 1.0825*10^-19 C^2
Q = square root of above = 3.207*10^-10C
What do I do after that?

supermenscher said:
Q = F*r*r/k
Q = 8.5*10^-9N *(3.3*10^-10m)^2/9.0*10^9 N*m^2/C^2
These should read Q*Q =
Q = 1.0825*10^-19 C^2
Recheck this answer for Q*Q.
Q = square root of above = 3.207*10^-10C
You made an arithmetic mistake in finding Q*Q.

can u explain youself a little more, i don't understand what you are trying to say in the above post

Hopefully DocAl will forgive my intrusion:

You are using the symbol, "Q," to represent Q1*Q2. But, if both Q1 and Q2 are equal to Q, then, upon substitution: Q1*Q2 = Q*Q.
It is at the very least symbolically misleading to say: Q1*Q2 = Q.

Anyway, once you get that straightened out, the charge will be in Coulombs. Then you need to use the charge of an electron in Coulombs: 1.6x10-19 C.

1. What are electric forces?

Electric forces are the attractive or repulsive forces between two electrically charged particles. These forces are caused by the interaction of electric fields created by the charged particles.

2. How can electric forces drive me insane?

Electric forces can drive you insane if you are constantly dealing with electrical problems or complex electric systems. This can lead to frustration, stress, and difficulty in finding solutions to the problems.

3. What factors affect electric forces?

The strength of electric forces is influenced by the magnitude and distance between the charged particles, as well as the medium in which they are interacting. The presence of other electrically charged particles can also impact the strength of electric forces.

4. What are some common problems caused by electric forces?

Some common problems caused by electric forces include short circuits, power outages, electric shocks, and damage to electronic devices. These issues can be caused by faulty wiring, improper grounding, or other electrical malfunctions.

5. How can I prevent electric forces from causing problems?

To prevent electric forces from causing problems, it is important to ensure that all electrical systems and devices are properly installed and maintained. This includes regularly checking for any damaged wiring, using surge protectors, and following proper safety measures when working with electricity.