Electron Phasepositive and negative?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of phase in relation to the "dumbbell" model of the p orbital in chemistry. Phase refers to the complex phase at a specific point on the surface of the orbital, and a 180 degree rotation will result in a change in sign. It is similar to the concept of phase shifts in sine and cosine functions. The conversation concludes with the understanding that phase is purely a spatial concept.
rabbitweed
EDIT: This may be better in the Chemistry forum, I'm really not sure.

I'm just doing some basic qualitative MO theory for my first year chemistry class, and i am becoming quite confused.

My text says shows your typical 'dumbbell' model of a p orbital, each a different colour, and states "The two lobes of the p orbitals are of opposite phase."...without actually explaining what phase is.

Is phase just another name for it's orientation along an x y z axis, or does it have to do with the magnetic moment?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the "dumbbell" model of the p orbital, the size and shape of lobe is related to the probability of finding the electron at that angular location. It's a bit more complicated, because, strictly speaking, the value at any given point on the surface is actually a complex number, where the phase refers to the complex phase at that point. The dumbell surface actually represents the angular part of the wave function describing the electron in that orbital, which is a complex number in general.

If you start at some point on one lobe, and rotate around by 180 degrees such that you're on the other lobe, this new point will have opposite sign from the point you started at.

If you're familiar with the idea of phase shifts when talking about sine and cosine functions, then you can see how a shift of 180 degrees causes the point to flip sign. It's kinda like that in this case.

ah, so it's purely a spatial thing. Thanks, I think I get it now.

1. What is an electron's phase?

An electron's phase refers to its position and momentum in an atom. It can be described using quantum mechanics and can have positive or negative values.

2. What does a positive electron phase mean?

A positive electron phase means that the electron has a high probability of being found in a particular location within an atom. This is also known as a high energy state.

3. What does a negative electron phase mean?

A negative electron phase means that the electron has a low probability of being found in a particular location within an atom. This is also known as a low energy state.

4. How does electron phase affect an atom's properties?

The electron phase affects an atom's properties by determining the electron's behavior and interactions with other atoms. A high energy electron may have a stronger repelling force while a low energy electron may have a weaker attracting force with other electrons.

5. Can an electron's phase change?

Yes, an electron's phase can change depending on its interactions with other particles or external forces. This can cause changes in an atom's properties and behavior.