Transformer copper loss calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the copper loss of a transformer at full load. The primary winding resistance and secondary resistance are given, along with the transformer's nameplate information. The conversation also includes a discussion on the calculation of primary and secondary currents, as well as the impact of turns ratio and load type on copper loss. However, there is not enough information given to accurately calculate the copper loss.
tommoturbo
Hello guys have a little problem

see if anyone can help

Homework Statement

Q the primary winding resistance is 125Ohms, Secondary is 0.7ohms calulate the transformers copper loss at full load.

now the transformers name plate is 240V 50Hz 28VA the earlier question explains it is a step down transformer delivering 12V

Homework Equations

so primary Current = Vp/Rp 240/125 = 1.92A

now I am not sure what figures to use to calc the current in secondary winding at full load

i get values from 40A 38.4A

and using formula Full load current = VA rating/primary voltage i get .116A

i need Is value for copper loss formula

Copper loss W= Ip(sq)xRp+Is(sq)+Rs
Copper loss W= 1.92(sq)x125+Is(sq)+0.7 don't know the equation for secondary current Is

any help appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, you're not calculating the primary current correctly. Hint: what does 28 VA mean?

Once you have that, remember that power in = power out to work out the secondary full-load current.

thanks for the reply but I am lost now.

not entirely sure what to do with the 28VA but thought it was used somehow to calc secondary current

thought i did the priomary current ok though
I=V/R 240/125

am i on the wrong track?

Very much so. Let's start at a more basic level, then:

What is VA? What does it mean and how is it calculated?

"The VA rating is the math formula used in determining the amperage at a given voltage."

So my secondary voltage of 12 volts from a 28VA transformer will produce 2.33 amps...?

e.g., 28 VA ÷ 12 Volts = 2.33 Amps. am i correct.

Right. Now, what do you know about the relationship of primary current to secondary current?

does this apply to the primary current also

primary voltage of 240volts from a 28VA transformer will produce .116 amps...

e.g., 28 VA ÷ 240 Volts = .116 Amps.

thanks for you help in this

You've got it! Now you can plug those values into I2R to find the primary and secondary copper watt losses.

Brilliant thanks for the advice

:)

hey guys
i have a doubt
will turns ratio affect the amount of copper loss or core loss
i am a little bit confused in ds matr

tommoturbo said:
Hello guys have a little problem
see if anyone can help

Homework Statement

Q the primary winding resistance is 125Ohms, Secondary is 0.7ohms calulate the transformers copper loss at full load.
now the transformers name plate is 240V 50Hz 28VA the earlier question explains it is a step down transformer delivering 12V

Insufficient data.

Is 12 VRMS the unloaded secondary voltage?
Is this an imaginary transformer with the unloaded primary power dissipation equal to zero?
I don't know if this one counts, but are we to pretend that 'full load' is a purely resistive load?

Last edited:

1. How is copper loss calculated in a transformer?

Copper loss in a transformer is calculated by multiplying the square of the current flowing through the transformer's windings by the resistance of the windings. This calculation is done for both the primary and secondary windings, and the results are added together to get the total copper loss.

2. Why is copper loss important to consider in transformer design?

Copper loss is important to consider in transformer design because it represents the energy that is converted into heat and lost from the system. This loss can affect the efficiency and performance of the transformer, so it is crucial to minimize copper loss in order to optimize the transformer's operation.

3. What factors affect copper loss in a transformer?

The factors that affect copper loss in a transformer include the current flowing through the windings, the resistance of the windings, and the frequency of the alternating current. Other factors such as temperature, material properties, and design choices can also impact copper loss.

4. How can copper loss be reduced in a transformer?

Copper loss can be reduced in a transformer by using larger diameter wire for the windings, using materials with lower resistance, and minimizing the length of the windings. Additionally, optimizing the transformer's design and operating conditions can also help reduce copper loss.

5. Is copper loss the only type of energy loss in a transformer?

No, there are other types of energy loss in a transformer, such as core losses (hysteresis and eddy currents) and stray losses (leakage flux). However, copper loss is one of the most significant energy losses in a transformer and is often the primary focus in transformer design and optimization.