Solve the Circuit For Electromagnetism Unit

In summary, you need to find the equation for R4 in a parallel circuit with resistors in series and in parallel.
madeeeeee

Homework Statement

please visit this site and solve with calculations, Thank you!

http://rapidshare.com/files/338079894/Figure_it_out.doc

Homework Equations

V=IR

Rt=1/R1+1/R2+1/R3

The Attempt at a Solution

Please solve this circuit
Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are missing a relevant equation and you have no idea what one of the others is good for.
[tex]R_t=R_1+R_2+R_3...[/tex] for resistors in series.
[tex]\frac{1}{R_t}=\frac{1}{R_1}+\frac{1}{R_2}+\frac{1}{R_3}...[/tex] for resistors in parallel.
You have a series-parallel circuit so both apply in certain parts.
We will not provide the answers because it is your homework.

Its just i am working on it but i need the anwers so i can check if i get it right. Please i have a test tomorrow

Then show your answers and we might be able to help more.

ok so i have the answers can you please check to see if I'm right:

I1=4.0A
R1=3.8 ohms
R4=5.0 ohms
I2=2.0 A
I3=2.0 A
V2=20.0V
V3=20.v
I0=4.0A
Rt=10 ohms
V4=?
Rt=10 ohms

You can check the V=IR across all components and their combinations to see if they make sense. If not your answers are not correct. I agree with [tex] I_0, I_1, I_2, I_3, V_2, V_3,\ and\ R_1[/tex] for now. I have something else to do. I'll check the rest later.

great, thank you!

is v4=15v
R4=3.8

I agree with all answers except R4 and V4. Don't assume symmetry because both have 4A going through them. That current must go through the whole circuit, ie both R1 and R4.
Look at your configuration of resistors and find the equation that fits. You have two parallel resistors in series with two other resistors. And solve for R4. Then apply V=IR to that resistor.
For resistors in parallel, I solve for RT before entering it into my calculator or into a series equation like you will:
[tex]R_T=(\frac{1}{R_1}+\frac{1}{R_2}+...)^{-1}[/tex]

would r4 = 1.25 and v4 = 5

because if i make the parallel part of the series by doing Rt=1/ri + 1/r2...
than it will be 5 ohms and is series, the equation is rt=r1+r3+r4
10=3.75+5+r4
r4= 1.25

There you have it. Good luck with the exam.

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the interactions between electricity and magnetism. It explains how electrically charged particles create magnetic fields and how moving magnets create electric fields.

2. What is a circuit in electromagnetism?

A circuit is a closed loop through which an electric current can flow. It consists of a power source, conductors, and a load. In electromagnetism, a circuit can be used to create and control magnetic fields.

3. How do you solve a circuit in electromagnetism?

To solve a circuit in electromagnetism, you need to use the principles of Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, and the laws of electromagnetism. These laws help determine the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit and how they affect the magnetic field created.

4. Why is solving circuits important in electromagnetism?

Solving circuits in electromagnetism allows us to understand and control the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. This is crucial in the development of technologies such as motors, generators, and transformers, which rely on the principles of electromagnetism.

5. What are some common applications of electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism has a wide range of applications in our daily lives, including electricity generation, communication technologies, medical imaging, and transportation. It also plays a crucial role in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing.