Calculating Distance and Time given mass,velocity,and Force.

• Thread starter copitlory8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Time
In summary, a power boat with a mass of 475 kg is traveling at a constant speed of 8.9 m/s and is being propelled by a force of 765 N. When the engine is shut off and assuming a constant resistive force by the water, the boat coasts to a stop. Using the kinematics equations, the time and distance can be calculated to be 5.526 seconds and 49.183 meters, respectively. However, the formula for acceleration used was incorrect and needs to be corrected.
copitlory8

Homework Statement

A power boat of mass 475 kg is cruising at a constant speed of 8.9 m/s. The propeller provides a drive force of 765 N. The driver of the boat shuts off the engine, and the boat coasts to a halt. Assume-contrary to fact-that the resistive force due to the water is constant, independent of the boat's speed.

Homework Equations

F=ma
a=velocity/time
v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided Force by mass to get acceleration since F=ma.
Then using the acceleration formula a=d/t i calculated time.
Using that time i calculated distance useing the velocity formula v=d/t.
I got 49.183 meters and 5.526 seconds.
I got this answer wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula for acceleration is not correct. Look up the "kinematics equations" to get the time and the distance. You'll need to think about the boat's final velocity to use one of the kinematics equations.

but i can't figure out how to calculate acceleration because i need distance and time.

you already said how to find acceleration! F = ma!

thank you very much!

1. What is the equation for calculating distance?

The equation for calculating distance is distance = velocity x time. This is known as the displacement formula.

2. How do you calculate time given mass, velocity, and force?

To calculate time, you can use the formula time = mass x velocity / force. This formula is based on Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration.

3. Can you calculate distance and time without knowing the force?

Yes, you can still calculate distance and time without knowing the force. As mentioned earlier, you can use the equation distance = velocity x time, or you can rearrange the formula for time to be time = distance / velocity.

4. How is mass related to distance and time?

Mass is not directly related to distance and time. However, it is a factor in the formula for calculating time and can also affect the force required to achieve a certain velocity.

5. Is there a specific unit of measurement for mass, velocity, force, distance, and time?

Mass is usually measured in kilograms (kg), velocity in meters per second (m/s), force in Newtons (N), distance in meters (m), and time in seconds (s). However, other units can also be used as long as they are consistent with each other in the formula.