Calculating Resultant Acceleration in 3D Space

In summary, resultant acceleration is the total acceleration experienced by an object due to multiple accelerations acting on it. It is calculated using vector addition and takes into account the magnitude and direction of each acceleration. It differs from average acceleration, which is the average rate of change of velocity over a period of time. Resultant acceleration can be negative, also known as deceleration, and can be affected by factors such as mass, individual accelerations, external forces, initial velocity, and time duration.
Procrastinate
If I have two graphs - one with y acceleration and one with z acceleration - is it possible to find resultant accelerations using vectors with this? I don't have x.

I want to find the angle of an inclined plane and i need the overall acceleration to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean one acceleration is horizontal and ones vertical?

Yes, I do.

Is this in a 3D plain? {x,y,z} ?

Sirsh said:
Is this in a 3D plain? {x,y,z} ?

Yes, on a roller coaster. However, only the y and z exist but not x.

What is resultant acceleration?

Resultant acceleration is the combined effect of two or more accelerations acting on an object. It is the total acceleration that an object experiences due to these multiple accelerations.

How is resultant acceleration calculated?

Resultant acceleration is calculated using vector addition. This means that the individual accelerations are added together to find the total resultant acceleration. The calculation takes into account the magnitude and direction of each acceleration.

What is the difference between resultant acceleration and average acceleration?

Resultant acceleration is the total acceleration an object experiences at a given moment, while average acceleration is the average rate of change of velocity over a period of time. Resultant acceleration takes into account all accelerations acting on an object, while average acceleration only considers the initial and final velocities.

Can resultant acceleration be negative?

Yes, resultant acceleration can be negative. This occurs when the individual accelerations acting on an object are in opposite directions, resulting in a decrease in the object's velocity. Negative resultant acceleration is also known as deceleration.

What factors can affect the resultant acceleration of an object?

The resultant acceleration of an object can be affected by its mass, the magnitude and direction of the individual accelerations acting on it, and external forces such as friction or air resistance. The object's initial velocity and the time duration of the accelerations can also affect the resultant acceleration.