Teaching positions for non-US physicists

In summary: I know there is discrimination against foreigners, but is that just in the physics field specifically? I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but I wanted to be sure.In summary, the consensus is that you have a very low chance of getting a professorship if you are not from the US. However, there are other ways to get a career in physics, and the fact that you are not from the US does not make you less likely to take the job.
dsanz
Hello everyone,
My name is David, a physics undergraduate student from Mexico. This is my last undergraduate year, so I've been seriously thinking about what to do next lately. I was searching around the web and found that there are plenty of jobs for physicists in the US. I was wondering, how likely do you guys think it is for a person like me, coming from outside the US, to study a PhD there AND then, after going through the standard postdoctoral position career and stuff, landing a teaching position at a University. I'm supposing speaking fluent english is a must, and while I have an accent and do not speak it like an American would, I think I speak it well enough. Actually, I spent a semester studying in Toronto, Canada (University of Toronto), as an exchange student. I've been fluent with english since I was like 14, so living in the US would not be a problem. My doubt is if I would be considerably discriminated when finding a job at a University. Any kind of help, be it experiences, facts or whatever, will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the general consensus when it comes to this is don't count on getting a professorship. It's simply that there are so so few positions available and so so (relatively) many people who want them. It has nothing to do with where you're from. I remember one thread batted around a few numbers... a professor will mentor probably 20 phd students in his career at least. Making assumptions such as saying a certain % will want to go into industry, a % of professorships arent at phd granting universities, etc etc, still make the chances highly unlikely. I think that's the typical response for questions like these.

Thanks Pengwuino.
What do you think would increase my chances of getting a professorship? What I mean is, if a person REALLY wanted that position, and he knew it just as he started his undergraduate studies, what could he be doing for preparing to get it and maximizing his chances? Contacts? A certain area of study? Starting getting experience... maybe high school teaching? Research? ...

dsanz said:
Thanks Pengwuino.
What do you think would increase my chances of getting a professorship? What I mean is, if a person REALLY wanted that position, and he knew it just as he started his undergraduate studies, what could he be doing for preparing to get it and maximizing his chances? Contacts? A certain area of study? Starting getting experience... maybe high school teaching? Research? ...

There are a lot of threads like this;
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=388821
is currently active.

That thread is very helpful, thank you.
However I do have another question that I don't think is covered over there: Does the fact that I'm not from the US make me less likely to take the job?

1. What qualifications do I need to apply for a teaching position as a non-US physicist?

To apply for a teaching position as a non-US physicist, you will typically need a doctoral degree in physics or a related field, such as astronomy or engineering. You may also be required to have teaching experience, research experience, and a strong publication record.

2. Are there any specific visa requirements for non-US physicists applying for teaching positions?

Yes, non-US physicists who wish to apply for teaching positions in the US will need to obtain a work visa, such as an H-1B visa. This process can be lengthy and requires approval from both the hiring institution and the US government.

3. Can non-US physicists apply for tenure-track positions in US universities?

Yes, non-US physicists can apply for tenure-track positions in US universities. However, the tenure process may vary for non-US citizens and may require additional steps, such as obtaining permanent residency.

4. Are there any language requirements for non-US physicists applying for teaching positions in the US?

It is not uncommon for US universities to require non-US physicists to have a strong command of the English language, as all teaching and communication with students and colleagues will be conducted in English. Some universities may also require non-US physicists to pass an English proficiency exam.

5. Are there any resources available for non-US physicists looking for teaching positions in the US?

Yes, there are several resources available for non-US physicists looking for teaching positions in the US. These include job search websites, professional organizations, and networking events. Additionally, some universities may have specific programs or initiatives to recruit and support non-US physicists in their teaching positions.